BMB 110: Plagues Past and Present Course Guide
Selecting a Disease: Some Sources of Inspiration
Researching Your Topic
database guides for detailed instructions.
- Document your research process--list the databases you used, the search
terms you tried, etc.
- In many databases, the "advanced" search option will provide more
options and flexibility
- Try using official subject terms (using the "thesaurus", "headings", "MeSH",
- Try alternative terminology: leprosy or
- Truncate or use a wildcard (usually *): polio*
to find polio
as well as poliomyelitis
Leprosy and art
Leprosy or Hansen's Disease
Commonly available limits: publication year, language (and sometimes
Finding Materials at Fogler Library...and Beyond
See Finding Items at Fogler
Getting Items from Other
- Most article copies requested from other libraries are free, but sometimes
the other libraries charge
delivery and copying fees. On the request form, indicate the maximum cost
you are willing to pay in case there is a charge.
- Photocopied articles are sent to Fogler Library.
- If you are going to visit another library, call before you travel. Check
hours, policies, copying fees, and whether the issue you need is available.