NUR 101: Issues and Opportunities in Nursing
during the regular academic year (reduced hours during breaks).
- Fogler Library usually changes something (services, resources,
locations) over breaks:
What's new at
- Largest library in the state--check the
floor plan to find specific library locations.
- Most library assignments involve many steps--selecting a topic,
searching databases, finding articles, printing or photocopying, reading,
and writing. Don't wait until everybody else is trying to do the same thing.
- No library session before the assignment? For a good starting point, see
the "My research is in:" portals
on the library home page.
- Not sure which tool to use? Want some assistance?
Contact a librarian.
Library Assignment 1
CINAHL is the most important database for nursing students.
Connect to it from the
Indexes and Databases link or the
link on the library home page.
Tips for this assignment:
- To find Maine authors, click Advanced Search, select
Author Affiliation from the pull-down menu,
and type Maine in the search box.
- To find citations from nursing journals, either click Advanced Search
and scroll to Limit your results, or scroll down from
Refine your results
and click Show More. Then select Nursing
from the Journal Subset pull-down menu.
- Click on the title of an article and read the affiliation details to be
sure you have found an article written by a Maine nurse.
From citations to articles, books, and more
Some citations have an associated full text link. The rest of the time, use
to retrieve the article or find it in the library. See
Finding Items at Fogler Library
Evaluate your results BEFORE you print (or photocopy)
Printing and photocopying costs add up.
- No charge for scanning and/or saving files.
- Your MaineCard permits $16 worth of "free" printing ($0.04/side,
$0.07/double-sided page) each semester.
- Pay for excess printouts using Black Bear Bucks ("campus funds").
- Free printing funds don't carry over between semesters, but Black
- Photocopies cost $0.08/side (Black Bear Bucks).
Library Assignment 2
Use the URSUS
catalog to find reserve readings
- by course name
- by instructor
Check out and return reserve materials at the Circulation/Reserves/Media
desk on the
1st floor, northeast corner.
Database search tips
- Besides CINAHL, try Academic Search Complete or other
- Try alternative terminology: mental health nursing as
well as psychiatric nursing.
- Try alternative spelling (British as well as American).
- Truncate (use a wildcard) to get variations on a word: biograph*
retrieves biographies, biography... Don't
drop too many letters when you truncate.
|Use AND for more specific results
dix and biography
|Use OR to broaden a search with related
biography or obituary
- Try combining AND, OR, and truncation: dix and (biograph* or