CMJ 102: Fundamentals of Interpersonal
Your subject librarian is
A. Research the
service organization you are working with this semester.
B. Using your service-learning organization as a
guide for your research, locate and read at least 3 scholarly
articles on the organization's larger community issue/need.
Summarize the articles for content related to your service
project. Provide current facts and statistics. Write a reference
page in APA style.
To find appropriate resources for your
- Use relevant online databases;
- Use appropriate search terms;
- Contact your
subject librarian if you need assistance.
What are scholarly,
Not sure if the journal article you've
found is peer-reviewed? You can find the journal on the free web
and see if it has an editorial board or if there's an explicit
mention of peer review for submissions.
Communication Studies is an example.
- Usually published in scholarly
- Well-researched original articles on
specialized topics written by scholars
- Author affiliation and contact
details are provided
- There is an abstract at the
beginning of peer-reviewed articles
- Contain in-text citations and a list
of references at the end
- May include charts tables, graphs,
and other statistical data
- Use subject-specific language that
include technical terms unique to the field
- Presented in sections such as
Introduction, Literature Review, Methodology, Results,
- Subjected to intense critiques by a
team of subject specialists who are peers of the author(s)
Example popular article about farmers' markets and nutrition
Example scholarly article about farmers' markets and nutrition
Scholarly journals vs popular/trade magazines
To find information on your topic:
To cite resources used for your
For news about your
Where to go for assistance:
Ask-a-Librarian: Reference librarians are available via
chat, text, phone, and email.
- Don't hesitate to contact your subject librarian,
Created by: Jen Bonnet |