NUR 202: Application of Theory to Nursing Practice I Course Guide
Services, resources, and locations are all subject to change, particularly
during academic year breaks.
What's new at Fogler Library.
Use Databases to Find Citations to Journal Articles
- CINAHL is the
most useful database for this and many other nursing classes. For some paper topics, you might also use
- Indexes and databases are designed for use worldwide, so they refer to
items we don't own.
- Often the full text of articles is included in databases. Sometimes you will need to retrieve
articles online using links in the URSUS catalog, and occasionally you will need to use print journals
at the library.
- Different companies produce different interfaces to CINAHL.
Consequently, the database may look very different at other libraries, or
even from one year to the next.
- Planning to do library research off campus?
- Activate your library card at the Fogler Library circulation desk so you can use library
resources off campus. At the start of every semester, make sure your card is activated.
- Computer problems? See
Remote Access Troubleshooting.
Citations from the CINAHL database
SOCIALIZATION of Japanese Nursing Students. (includes abstract);
CONDON E; SHARTS-HOPKO N; Nursing Education Perspectives, 2010 May-Jun; 31 (3): 167-70
(journal article - research) ISSN: 1536-5026 PMID: 20635621
Clinical placements and nursing students'
career planning: a qualitative exploration. (includes abstract); McKenna L;
McCall L; Wray N; International Journal of Nursing Practice, 2010 Apr; 16
(2): 176-82 (journal article - research, tables/charts) ISSN: 1322-7114
Same citations, 6th edition
Condon, E., & Sharts-Hopko, N. (2010). Socialization of Japanese nursing students.
Nursing Education Perspectives, 31, 167-170. Retrieved from
McKenna, L., McCall, L., & Wray, N. (2010). Clinical placements and
nursing students' career planning: A qualitative exploration.
International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16, 176-182.
Issue numbers are required only when journals are "paginated separately by
issue" (see 6.30 and 7.01 in the APA manual).
CINAHL guide (or other
guides) for detailed instructions.
Before you search:
- Document your research process--list the databases you used, the search
terms you tried, etc.
- Click Advanced Search for the most search options.
- Running out of time?
Save your search strategy (and maybe some results).
- Identify individual concepts within your topic.
- Search for each concept separately, using the Exploded
official subject headings.
- Combine the subject headings.
- Apply limits.
- Evaluate your results BEFORE you print them--read the abstract, skim
full text, look at the subject headings.
Combining subject headings
|Use AND for more specific results
Socialization AND Students, Nursing
s1 AND s2
|Use OR to broaden a search with related
Students, Nursing OR Education, Nursing
s1 OR s2
- Frequently used CINAHL limits: Published Date, English Language, Peer Reviewed,
Research Article, USA (in Geographic Subset).
- MEDLINE and PsycINFO lack a "research" limit. The Human limit is very
important in these 2 databases.
Finding Journal Articles at Fogler Library...and Beyond
See Finding Items at Fogler
Getting Items from Other
- Don't submit an interlibrary loan ("ILL") request before your card has been activated.
(The request might be cancelled.)
- Most ILL articles are free, but sometimes the other library charges delivery and copying fees for
ILL. On the interlibrary loan request form, indicate the maximum cost you are willing to pay in case
there is a charge.
- ILL paper copies are sent to Fogler Library.
- If you are going to visit another library, call before you travel. Check
hours, policies, copying fees, and whether the issue you need is available.