Databases: find journal articles, technical reports,
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly publications.
- ASCE Civil Engineering Database
(CEDB). ASCE's CEDB covers bibliographic records of ASCE documents
published back to 1958, including journals, conference proceedings,
books, standards, manuals, magazines, and newsletters. Some full-text
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
- Chemical Data Access
Tool (CDAT). Use CDAT to find health and safety information submitted to
EPA under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), including a broad range
of health and safety information reported by industry under TSCA Sections
4,5, 8(d), and 8(e), unpublished, nonconfidential studies covering chemical
testing results and adverse effects of chemicals on health and ecological
systems, health and environmental effects information obtained through the
High Production Volume (HPV) Challenge, and recently declassified
confidential business information.
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network. Access to
all unclassified, unlimited documents added from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
- DOE Data Explorer.
Indexes raw data collections funded in whole or in part by the U.S.
Department of Energy. Data collections reside at national laboratories, data
centers, user facilities, colleges and universities, or the Web sites of
professional organizations, consortiums, corporate institutions, or
- DOE Information Bridge. FULL TEXT DATABASE. Full-text reports for 1995 to present
contracted by the U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Fire Research Information
Services (FRIS). FIREDOC database. Made available by the Building
and Fire Research Laboratory BFRL), National Institute of Standards
and Technology (NIST).
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books,
preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Google Scholar
includes articles from a variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
based on their relevance criteria.
- IngentaConnect (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present.
Monitoring and Assessment Program Index (MEMAP). Listing of
programs that monitor and assess Maine's environment.
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- National Transportation
Library. Subject concentrations include general transportation, surface,
and water transportation. Special topics include: bridge construction and
maintenance, driver studies, engineering, highways and highway safety,
history of transportation, land utilization, marine engineering, mass
transit, merchant marine, navigation, oceanography, pipelines, railroads,
ships and shipbuilding, statistics, traffic engineering, traffic surveys and
forecasts, urban transportation, and waterways One of the NTL’s
fastest-growing collections is exclusively digital, serving as a permanent
archive for statistical, technical, research and policy documents required
by researchers and decision makers and provided to NTL by federal, state,
local, tribal and other government agencies. The Library also maintains a
sizable law collection. It includes general legal materials, with a
specialty in government administration, as well as materials specifically
related to transportation law.
Access to Environmental Information in Maine (PEARL). Database of environmental data on Maine lakes.
1987 to present. Produced by Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER).
- Science Accelerator, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Search collections of DOE research results, project descriptions, and accomplishments. These collections enable you to find out about ongoing research projects, explore significant DOE discoveries, learn about DOE Nobel Prize Winners, access and search scientific e-prints, locate science conference papers and proceedings, patents, and more.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
- Searchable Physics Information Notices (SPIN). A bibliographic database
published by the American Institute of Physics. It is updated every 2 weeks
with coverage of all AIP journals and proceedings. Coverage also
includes journals from other societies including the Electrochemical
Society, Russian Academy of Sciences, etc.
of Maine. Department of Transportation.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
Publications Index. 1970's to present. Indexes all NCHRP and TRB publications.
- TranStats: The Intermodal
Transportation Database. Database provided by the Bureau of
Transportation Statistics, U.S. DOT.
Transportation Article File. Produced by the Northwestern
University Transportation Library. Coverage of journals, newsletters and
conference papers from 1976 to present.
TRID: the TIRS & ITRD Database.
TRID is the world's largest and most comprehensive bibliographic resource on
transportation research information. It is produced and maintained by the
Transportation Research Board of the US National Academies with sponsorship
by State Departments of Transportation, the various administrations at the
U.S. Department of Transportation, and other sponsors of TRB's core
technical activities. ITRD is produced by ITRD member organizations under
the sponsorship of Joint Transport Research Centre (collectively JTRC) of
the International Transport Forum and Organisation for Economic Cooperation
and Development (OECD) and ITRD. TRID covers all modes and disciplines of
transportation and contains more than 900,000 records of published research.
Over 64,000 records contain links to full-text documents. A
is available to download and provide guidance on
- U.S. Dept. of Energy. Scientific and
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Makes available many databases
that index technical data and research reports. Also review the list of
Environmental Publications Internet Site (NEPIS).
- U.S. Patent
database. See also Maine's
Patent and Trademark
- U.S.G.S. Water Resources of the
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- Bartleby.com. Dictionaries,
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource
with good science and technology coverage.
and science awards page.
- Wikipedia. The
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
Careers and Pre-College. Student and teacher resources.
- Discover engineering.
- Discovery Channel. Discovery School. Try the brain boosters.
- Emporis. News about
construction and the real estate market and data on buildings. Especially
helpful about skyscrapers.
- Engineer Girl. The Celebration of Women in Engineering is a special section of the EngineerGirl website providing information and resources for parents, teachers, and other mentors. Original content and collected links help people in each of these groups to encourage girls in math and science and support girls' pursuit engineering careers.
- Engineering your Future.
- Planet Protectors Club for Kids. U.S. EPA.
- Frank Potter's Science Gems. Great
links to great resources for students, parents, teachers, etc. Sorted
by categories and grade levels.
Construction Magazines. Magazines available include Bridge
Builder, Structural Engineer
- Future Scientists & Engineers of America (FSEA).
- Geoengineer Website. Free books, technical reports, educational tutorials, photo gallery,
- How Stuff Works.
- Maine Engineering Promotion
- Math/Science Network. Expanding Your Horizons.
- National Engineers Week.
- Try Science. Sponsored by
the New York Hall of Science.
Engineering News and Innovations
- CE News.
- ENR.com - Engineering News Record.
on the Web - Archive. Provides links to U.S. and international
newspaper archives that are searchable. Also has links to TV and radio
Newspapers. Full text of more than 500 U.S.
and international news sources. Includes The New York Times, Wall Street
Journal, Boston Globe, and the Times of London, plus hundreds of other news
sources and news wires. Years of coverage vary by title. Maine papers
included: Bangor Daily News (1992+), Portland Press Herald (1995+), and
selected business coverage from Maine Times (1994-2002) and Central Maine
Morning Sentinel (1993-1997).
of Energy. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE). EERE
works to strengthen the United States' energy security, environmental
quality, and economic vitality in public-private partnerships. EERE
manages ten programs, including:
Federal Energy Management,
Fuel Cells & Infrastructure Technologies,
Solar Energy Technologies,
Weatherization and Intergovernmental, and
Wind & Hydropower
Professional Societies and Research Organizations
Energy Information Administration. Official Energy Statistics from
the U.S. Government.
Fundamentals (EFUNDA). Materials, formulas, mathematics, processes, design, etc.
- Engineers Edge. contains
design and technical data, equations, current news, job announcements, links
to free trade journals.
Library Online. Free books, Corps of Engineering manuals and
- MatWeb. Complete physical property
data on polymers, metals and alloys, and composites.
- Soils Web Site. Produced
by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.
- Structural Performance Database (PEER). Provides the results of over 400 cyclic, lateral-load tests of
reinforced concrete columns. Maintained by the National Information Service
for Earthquake Engineering.
Company and Product Directories