Databases: find journal articles,
technical reports, standards, etc.
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly
publications including Chemical Week, Industry Week, Advanced
Materials & Processes.
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
Allows for searching by chemical structure and retrieval of physical
property data and relevant web sites.
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ). Provides access to the full text of over 1100 free scholarly
journals. Some journals are searchable at the article level. Also
provides access by broad subject areas.
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network.
Access to all unclassified, unlimited citations to documents added
from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
- DOE Data
Explorer. Indexes raw data collections funded in whole or in part by
the U.S. Department of Energy. Data collections reside at national
laboratories, data centers, user facilities, colleges and universities,
or the Web sites of professional organizations, consortiums, corporate
institutions, or international organizations.
- DOE Information Bridge. FULL TEXT DATABASE. Full-text reports for 1995 to present
contracted by the U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Energy Portal
Search. Provides access to government and research society databases
and evaluated web sites.
- Entrez Search and Retrieval
System. National Library of Medicine sponsored databases including
protein and nucleotide databases and
Energy R & D Project Database. U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Ingenta (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present. Good source for purchasing articles.
- Maine Office of Energy Independence and Security. Provides information and links to web sites about energy resources for
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
- MInd: The Meetings Index. Provides a free databases of future national and international
conferences, regional meetings, and short courses.
- MSDS Search - National
Repository. FULL TEXT DATABASE. This site pulls together in one place a great many
sites containing material safety data sheets. Large list of
manufacturers is included.
- MSDS Solutions. FULL TEXT DATABASE. Database
providing access to over 1 million Material Safety Data Sheets. See also
this listing of MSDS compilations.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- Science Accelerator, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Search collections of DOE research results, project descriptions, and accomplishments. These collections enable you to find out about ongoing research projects, explore significant DOE discoveries, learn about DOE Nobel Prize Winners, access and search scientific e-prints, locate science conference papers and proceedings, patents, and more.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
- Scirus. produced by Elsevier. Use their advanced search which provides many options for
full text searching across a variety of databases.
Searchable Physics Information Notices (SPIN). A bibliographic database
published by the American Institute of Physics. It is updated every 2 weeks
with coverage of all AIP journals and proceedings. Coverage also
includes journals from other societies including the Electrochemical
Society, Russian Academy of Sciences, etc.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
- U.S. Patent
database. See also the
Patent and Trademark
Resource Center web site.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- Bartleby.com. Dictionaries,
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
Encyclopedia of Alternative Energy and Sustainable Living.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource
with good science and technology coverage. Nobel
and science awards page.
of Energy. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE). EERE
works to strengthen the United States' energy security, environmental
quality, and economic vitality in public-private partnerships. EERE
manages ten programs, including:
Federal Energy Management,
Fuel Cells & Infrastructure Technologies,
Solar Energy Technologies,
Weatherization and Intergovernmental, and
Wind & Hydropower
Professional Societies and Government Agencies
Fuels Properties Database.
From the Dept. of Energy and includes data on various physical, chemical,
operational, and environmental, safety, and health properties.
- ChemAlliance. Regulatory
information for the chemical industries.
Searchable database that contains 2D structures and 3D models,
physical property information and appropriate Internet links.
Information Administration. Official Energy Statistics from the U.S.
- Fedstats.gov. Provides
access to statistical information from over 100 U.S. government
- Fueleconomy.gov. Helps
consumers make informed fuel economy choices when purchasing a vehicle
and helps them achieve the best fuel economy possible from the cars they
own. Maintained jointly by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and the U.S. Environmental
- Greencar. Provides news and
technical information on green vehicles, green energy and technologies.
- Home Energy Saver. Do-it-yourself energy audit. From the U.S. DOE.
- NIST Chemistry WebBook.
Contains spectral, thermochemical, thermophysical and energetics data.
- NIST Data Gateway. Covers a broad range of substances and properties from many different
scientific disciplines. U.S. National Institute of Standards and
Scientific Product Buyers Guides