Geographic Information Systems
Databases: find journal articles, technical reports,
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly publications.
Agricultural Online Access. Sponsored by National Agriculture Library.
1970 to present.
Sponsored by the United Nations. Food and Agriculture Organization.
1965 to present.
- ASCE Civil Engineering Database
(CEDB). ASCE's CEDB covers bibliographic records of ASCE documents
published back to 1958, including journals, conference proceedings,
books, standards, manuals, magazines, and newsletters. Some full-text
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
- Citeseer.com. Scientific
Literature Digital Library. NEC Corp. Indexes Postscript and PDF research
articles on the Web. Has citation searching component.
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network. Access to
all unclassified, unlimited documents added from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
Scholar. Beta version, under construction. Indexes
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books,
preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Google Scholar
includes articles from a variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
based on their relevance criteria.
- IEEE Xplore. Index to IEEE and IET publications
in electrical engineering, computer science, and electronics. Full
text of IEEE and IET journals, conference proceedings and standards is available at Fogler Library.
- Ingenta (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present.
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
- MInd: The Meetings Index. Provides a free databases of future national and international
conferences, regional meetings, and short courses.
- NASA Technical Report Server (NTRS). This database collects, archives,
and disseminates aerospace information produced by NASA and other
relevant worldwide research.
Environmental Publications Internet Site (NEPIS). Index to over 9,500
full-text EPA reports.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- Science Accelerator, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Search collections of DOE research results, project descriptions, and accomplishments. These collections enable you to find out about ongoing research projects, explore significant DOE discoveries, learn about DOE Nobel Prize Winners, access and search scientific e-prints, locate science conference papers and proceedings, patents, and more.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
- Searchable Physics Information Notices (SPIN). A bibliographic database
published by the American Institute of Physics. It is updated every 2 weeks
with coverage of all AIP journals and proceedings. Coverage also
includes journals from other societies including the Electrochemical
Society, Russian Academy of Sciences, etc.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
TI Technical Articles. Find links to technical articles written by
TI engineering experts for engineering trade magazines. Topics include
how to select or design with amplifiers, data converters, clocks,
interface and power management. They also address applications, such as
audio, industrial, medical, high reliability and many others. Several
sorting options can help you with your search.
TRID: the TIRS & ITRD Database.
TRID is the world's largest and most comprehensive bibliographic resource on
transportation research information. It is produced and maintained by the
Transportation Research Board of the US National Academies with sponsorship
by State Departments of Transportation, the various administrations at the
U.S. Department of Transportation, and other sponsors of TRB's core
technical activities. ITRD is produced by ITRD member organizations under
the sponsorship of Joint Transport Research Centre (collectively JTRC) of
the International Transport Forum and Organisation for Economic Cooperation
and Development (OECD) and ITRD. TRID covers all modes and disciplines of
transportation and contains more than 900,000 records of published research.
Over 64,000 records contain links to full-text documents. A
is available to download and provide guidance on
- URISA Proceedings
and Journal articles index. Coverage is 1987 - 2002. Keyword
search and table of contents available.
- U.S. Dept. of Energy. Scientific and
- U.S. EPA Web Search. Provides advanced searching of the EPA web site.
- U.S. Patent
database. See also the
Patent and Trademark Resource Center web site.
- U.S.G.S. Water Resources of the
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- GIS Dictionary.
Association for Geographic
for the Geographer's Craft. Univ. of Colorado.
- Glossary of
GIS terms. Compiled by ESRI.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource with
good science and technology coverage. Nobel
and science awards page.
- Discovery Channel. Discovery School. Try the brain boosters.
- IEEE Global History Network. Dedicated
to preserving and promoting the history of innovation in the fields of
electrical engineering, electronics and computing, and all their related
- Discover engineering.
Engineer Girl. For everyone with lots of links and information.
- Engineering your Future.
- Frank Potter's Science Gems. Great
links to great resources for students, parents, teachers, etc. Sorted
by categories and grade levels.
- Future Scientists & Engineers of America (FSEA).
- Gaia Crossroad Project.
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences. Satellite imagery for
students and the community.
- How Stuff Works.
- Living Internet. How does
it work and how was it invented. Programming methods for the internet.
- Maine Engineering Promotion
Network. Expanding Your Horizons.
Collection of tutorials, books, and web sites on programming languages
including MATLAB, C, C++, JAVA, Visual Basic, etc. Full text tutorials
- National Engineers Week.
- Try Science. Sponsored by the New York Hall of Science.
- C|net. Online home of
CBS Interactive's C|net program. Includes current reviews of software and hardware,
industry news and a vast archive of freeware, shareware and demos.
Journals. Journals available freely over the internet or
through subscritions maintained by Fogler Library, University of
Maine. Some titles only available to the University of Maine
Boundary Files. From the U.S. Census Bureau. Files from the
2000 census containing congressional districts, school districts, urban
areas, etc. Files are for use with GIS systems.
- EarthRef Digital Archive
(ERDA). contains any type of digital data object associated with the
Information Administration. Official Energy Statistics from the U.S.
- FedStats. Gateway to
statistics from over 100 U.S. federal agencies.
- GEO Data Portal. Produced by the United Nations Environment Programme. (UNEP) Authoritative source for data sets used by UNEP in their reports.
- GeoData.gov. Federal,
state and local geographic data.
- Geography. USGS. Includes access to the National Map.
- GIS Monitor: Ultimate
- Landscan. Landscan data comprise a worldwide population database compiled on a 30" X
30" latitude/longitude grid. Free registration is required.
- National Elevation Data Set.
- National Environmental Satellite,
Data and Information Service. (NOAA) Their mission is to provide
global environmental data resources. Links to data are made available
for climatic, coastal, geophysical and environmental resources
- National Geodetic Survey.
- National Geospatial Data Clearinghouse. Sponsored by the Federal Geographic Data
- Office of Coast Survey. NOAA.
- PANGAEA. Public data library aimed at archiving, publishing and distributing geocoded
data with special emphasis on environmental, marine and geological research.
- UN Statistical Data. From the United
Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) of the Department of Economic and Social
Affairs (DESA), this website offers a variety of United Nations statistical
databases through a single entry point. Users can search and download
statistical data of the UN system. Search across all databases, or use
advanced search to select specific sources, years, and regions of the world.
Includes a glossary.
- U.S. Census Bureau.
and Cartographic Products.
- U.S. Environmental Protection
- U.S. Geological Survey.
Geography Home Page Products including
data, maps, and software.