Databases: find journal articles, technical reports,
- Academic Search Complete. Provides full text for over 3,200 scholarly publications.
- ASCE Civil Engineering Database
(CEDB). ASCE's CEDB covers bibliographic records of ASCE documents
published back to 1958, including journals, conference proceedings,
books, standards, manuals, magazines, and newsletters. Some full-text
- Business Source Complete. Provides full text for over 2500 business
- Chemical Data Access
Tool (CDAT). Use CDAT to find health and safety information submitted to
EPA under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), including a broad range
of health and safety information reported by industry under TSCA Sections
4,5, 8(d), and 8(e), unpublished, nonconfidential studies covering chemical
testing results and adverse effects of chemicals on health and ecological
systems, health and environmental effects information obtained through the
High Production Volume (HPV) Challenge, and recently declassified
confidential business information.
- Defense Technical Information
Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network. Access to
all unclassified, unlimited documents added from late December 1974 to present, many from 1998 to present in
Products Laboratory. Maintain database of online reports and
journal articles. Full text for many online reports.
- Forest Service Publications Database.
Reports and research from the U.S. Forest Service. Coverage back to
Scholar. Beta version, under construction. Indexes
scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books,
preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Google Scholar
includes articles from a variety of academic publishers, professional
societies, preprint repositories and universities. They rank results
based on their relevance criteria.
- Ingenta (Formerly UnCover).
Coverage is 1988 - Present.
Premier. Provides full text for over 1,830 general
reference, business, consumer health, general science. Full text
extends back to January, 1990. Indexing and abstracts is
available for an additional 1,000 journals.
- NASA Technical Report Server (NTRS). This database collects, archives,
and disseminates aerospace information produced by NASA and other
relevant worldwide research.
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN).
- National Technical
Information Service (NTIS) Database. Contains over 2.0 million
bibliographic records to research reports, computer products, software,
video cassettes, audio cassettes and more from the latest research
sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. The
complete electronic file dates back to 1964. Most records include
abstracts. Full text to research reports may be purchased from NTIS
using the links in the bibliographic records.
- Science Accelerator, Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Search collections of DOE research results, project descriptions, and accomplishments. These collections enable you to find out about ongoing research projects, explore significant DOE discoveries, learn about DOE Nobel Prize Winners, access and search scientific e-prints, locate science conference papers and proceedings, patents, and more.
5.0. A free, integrated single-search gateway to reliable science and
technology information from 17 organizations within 13 federal science
agencies - access to over 200 million pages of scientific information.
Searchable Physics Information Notices (SPIN). A bibliographic database
published by the American Institute of Physics. It is updated every 2 weeks
with coverage of all AIP journals and proceedings. Coverage also
includes journals from other societies including the Electrochemical
Society, Russian Academy of Sciences, etc.
- TechStreet: Technical
Information Superstore. Most comprehensive index for
engineering standards. Also indexes books, materials physical
property data, software and free professional trade magazines.
- U.S. Dept. of Energy. Scientific and
- U.S. Patent Database.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Access Science. Online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology and the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms. Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.Includes over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, 10th Edition and regularly updated, fully-searchable media-rich content, terms, images and video.
- Bartleby.com. Dictionaries,
thesaurus, quotations, etc.
of Composite Materials Technology. Online version of the CRC press
dictionary with expended content.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary and thesaurus in one resource
with good science and technology coverage.
and science awards page.
Maine and Regional Resources
Professional and Research Organizations
- American Wood
Council. Wood Structural Design Data. 1986 edition with
- ChemAlliance. Regulatory
information for the chemical industries.
- Engineers Edge. contains
design and technical data, equations, current news, job announcements, links
to free trade journals.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
on the Internet.
- MatWeb. Your Source
for Materials Information. Materials property data.
- NIST Chemistry WebBook.
Contains spectral, thermochemical, thermophysical and energetics data.
- NIST Data Gateway. Covers a broad range of substances and properties from many different
scientific disciplines. U.S. National Institute of Standards and
Database. Comprehensive collection of physical, chemical and
mechanical properties for the platinum metals group (Platinum,
Palladium, Rhodium, Irridium, Osmium, and Ruthenium).
- SubsTech. A free and open knowledge source on Materials Engineering. It
contains a wide range of illustrated articles on metals, ceramics,
polymers, composites and fluids including their properties, applications
and technologies for their manufacture.
Each article includes a list of useful links related to the article content.
Users can create their own Expert page, edit the site content, add new
articles and contribute to discussions.
Company and Product Directories
- Building Materials by McGraw-Hill Sweet's. Searchable database of commercially-available construction equipment and materials,
including product specifications and descriptions.
- Forest Industry Network.
- IQS Directory.
Industrial Quick Search Manufacturer Directory.
- ThomasNet Register of
American Manufactures.Online version of the popular directory of North American
manufacturers. Users may search by product, company name or location. Registration is
required but access and searching are free.
- Thomas Global Register
Europe. European industrial buying guide.
- Wood Design and Building Magazine. Wood
Links. Contains links to products, services,
associations, standards and design and construction information.