Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
Introduction and Summary Information
Collection Title: Llewellyn N. Edwards Papers.
Dates of the Collection: 1915-1933 (inclusive); 1920-1928 (bulk).
Provenance: The Edwards papers were a gift to the Special Collections Department, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine from Carolyn Hodgdon Edwards in 1964.
Collection Number: MS 160.
Box Numbers: 1 (formerly Cage Box 7).
Size and Arrangement: The collection consists of one document box of material (0.5 cubic feet).
Conservation Note: The collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and an acid-free box. Photographs have been housed in polypropylene sleeves and remain with the relevant documents.
Preferred Citation: Llewellyn N. Edwards Papers, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine.
Restrictions on Access and Use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
The collection contains the papers of Llewellyn Nathaniel Edwards, a graduate of the University of Maine and an expert on bridges and on concrete.
Llewellyn Nathaniel Edwards was born in Otisfield, Maine in 1873. He received his Bachelor of Engineering degree in 1898, his C.E. in 1901, and Doctor of Engineering degree in 1927, all from the University of Maine. After graduation he began work as a draftsman for the Boston Bridge Works Company. Between 1905 and 1912, he worked as a bridge designer for various railroad companies, including the Boston and Maine, the Chicago and Northwestern, and the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada. While with the Grand Trunk he was in charge of the reconstruction of five bridges on the Lewiston Branch in Maine. In 1912 he became Supervising Engineer of Bridges for the city of Toronto, where he began his research in the study of concrete. He was then briefly employed by the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads assigned to the district which included Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana, before becoming bridge engineer for the Maine State Highway Commission in 1921. In 1928 he again was employed by the Bureau of Public Roads as a structural engineer, retiring in 1943.
Dr. Edwards served as a captain in the Corps of Engineers in World War I. He became an authority on concrete and was the author of A Record of History and Evolution of Early American Bridges as well as numerous articles in professional and scientific journals. Dr. Edwards died in 1952.
Dr. Edwards is represented on the campus of the University of Maine in several ways. In 1932 he donated two sets of cannons to the University; one set had been used for display on the U.S.S. Constitution (“Old Ironsides”), the other had been used in the Civil War. Both sets are now located on the lawns of the campus. In addition, the Dr. L.N. Edwards Wing of Boardman Hall, a building which houses the civil and mechanical engineering departments of the University, is named in honor of Dr. Edwards.
Scope and Content Note
This small collection contains primarily drafts of articles and other writings by Dr. Edwards on the subjects of concrete and bridges. Also included are graphs and blueprints presumably gathered and used by him during his career.
Of particular interest are the correspondence and photographs concerning Sewalls Bridge in York, Maine, and the Bowdoinham Bridge in Bowdoinham, Maine, as well as various other photographs of Maine bridges in the 1920’s and 1930’s, at least some of which were built under the supervision of Dr. Edwards.
1 Compilation of tables for use of students and engineers by LNE, 1927
2 Cover of Compilation of tables
3 Concrete making for highways and bridges by LNE, undated
4 Concrete materials and construction by LNE, undated
5 General construction: steel structures; manuscript by LNE, undated
6 Glacial plains of Maine by LNE, undated
7 Inspections; manuscript by LNE, undated
8 Reprints of articles by LNE, 1919-1928
9 Graphs re surface area, etc. [ca. 1915-1918]
10 Blueprints and drawings, undated
11 Weight tables
12 Correspondence, notes, etc. re concrete, 1919, undated
13 Letter from Isaac Mills, 1921 (copy)
14 Correspondence and photographs re Bowdoinham and York bridges, 1931
15 Photographs of bridges (captions as found on photographs):
Wesserunsett bridge, Athens, July 9, 1924 + negative
Goose River bridge, Belfast
Bridge in Bowdoinham, an early type with “pipe” truss members
Brunswick-Topsham: The present Maine Street bridge; the bridge from
the river during a spring freshet; the old toll bridge (3 illustrations)
Bealier(?) Brook, Madawaska
Carrabasset bridge, New Portland, July 4, 1924; bridge built by Llewellyn
N. Edwards Bridge at Norridgewock, 1930 (postcard)
Northport at Wayside Inn, Brown’s Corner, Sta 161 & 58, March 27th
Old covered bridge, Oxford, Maine (postcard)
Coopers Mill bridge, Whitefield (2 copies)
Sewalls bridge, York, June 17, 1933
Sewalls bridge, York, n.d.
16 Miscellaneous notes and articles, undated
17 Illustration of LNE, undated, by James T. White & Co., for the National Cyclopedia of American Biography
Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at email@example.com or (207) 581-1686 for further information.