Skip Navigation

Special Collections: Guide to the University of Maine Laboratory at Lamoine Records

Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
July 2010

Collection title: University of Maine Marine Laboratory at Lamoine Records
Collection number: MS 567
Dates of collection: 1931-1950
Size of collection: 1 record carton
Restrictions on access and use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.

History

In 1931, the University of Maine established a marine laboratory at Lamoine, Maine, on the site of a former naval coaling station. The laboratory operated during the summer months and was designed especially to meet the needs of undergraduate students studying marine invertebrate zoology. The facility, located on 55 acres of property, included a laboratory building and residence buildings for staff and students as well as a motor boat and row boats for student use. The laboratory was headed by Joseph M. Murray, a professor of zoology at the university.

The laboratory operated until 1941. During World War II it was maintained in caretaker status; correspondence in the collection indicates that it was hoped it would open again after the war. However in 1949 the land was transferred to the Maine State Park Commission and is now operated as Lamoine State Park.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains administrative records of the laboratory including correspondence, brochures, budget documents, publicity information and laboratory purchase orders. Much of the correspondence is that of Joseph M. Murray, director of the facility.

Box List

Box 1

Folder

1-7 Correspondence, 1931-1938; 1941, 1944-1945

8 Correspondence, 1940: Dean Edward J. Allen

9 Correspondence, 1938-1950: Arthur C. Ashmore

10 Correspondence, 1939, 1941: Pres. Arthur A. Hauck

11 Correspondence, 1940: Joseph Murray re boats

12 Correspondence, 1938-1941: Arthur B. Otis

13 Correspondence, 1936-1941: William Procter

14 Correspondence, 1938-1941: Edward G. Reinhard

15 Correspondence, 1937, 1940: Arthur C. Weed, Field Museum of Natural History

16-18 Correspondence, 1937-1941; 1940-1949; 1942-1944: Administration

19 Correspondence, 1948: Building and grounds

20-24 Correspondence, 1938-1944: Ward’s Natural Science Establishment

25-27 Applications, 1937-1941

28 Applications for positions at Lamoine, 1941

29 Brochures, 1936-1941; Murray Hall, undated

30 Budget allotment and expenditures

31 Clippings and brochure

32 Exhibits, 1937-1941

33 Inventories

34 Marine animals lists/Zoology Dept. pamphlets

35 Publicity, 1937-1940

36-40 Purchase orders, 1931-1950

41 Song sheet: The sad fate of a youthful sponge

42 Stationery, blank

43 Summer school, 1933

44 University Store Company: orders, lists, 1939, undated

45 Ward’s mailing list


Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at spc@umit.maine.edu or (207) 581-1686 for further information.

Return to top level page


Special Collections Staff: spc@umit.maine.edu | Revised: 01/10/2014
5729 Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5729
Phone: 207-581-1661 | Fax: 207-581-1653
© Copyright 2000-2014
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
207-581-1865