Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
Introduction and Summary Information
Collection Title: Maine Consolidated Power Company Records.
Dates of the Collection: 1912-1966 (inclusive); 1920-1950 (bulk).
Collection Number: MS 310.
Box Numbers: 1-5.
Size and Arrangement: The collection consists of five archival record cartons of material (5.2 cubic feet) + 20 linear feet of ledgers.
Conservation Note: The collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes.
Preferred Citation: Maine Consolidated Power Company Records, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine.
Restrictions on Access and Use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Little information is available about the early history of the Maine Consolidated Power Company, located in Farmington, Maine. The records in the collection begin in 1915 and construction journals from 1919-1920 show work in progress in Farmington, New Portland and New Vineyard.
In 1929 the Maine Public Utilities Commission gave approval for the consolidation of the Franklin Power Co., Inc.; Franklin Light & Power Co.; Franklin Power Co.; Strong Lighting & Improvement Co.; and Wilton Light Co., thus formally establishing the Maine Consolidated Power Company. It now served the towns of Anson, New Portland and Emden in Somerset County; as well as New Vineyard, Kingfield, Freeman, Salem, Farmington, Industry, Temple, Strong, Weld, Wilton, Carthage, and the unincorporated places between Wilton and Weld known as Perkins Plantation.
The company purchased the Farmington Falls Electric Company in 1941, extending its service area to include the towns of Farmington Falls, North Chesterville, Chesterville, Knowlton Corner, Beans Corner, New Sharon and North New Portland. It added Lexington Plantation in 1959.
It also owned the Phillips Electric Light & Power Company, located in Farmington and serving the towns of Phillips, Avon and Madrid..
Maine Consolidated Power was acquired by Central Maine Power Company in 1966. At this time the Phillips Electric Light & Power Company was liquidated.
Scope and Content Note
The collection is arranged in two series: Records of the Maine Consolidated Power Company and Records of predecessor companies.
The records of the Maine Consolidated Power Co. are mainly financial and include daybooks, cashbooks, journals and ledgers. Also included are annual reports to the Maine Public Utilities Commission, property valuations, and property tax studies. Two volumes of records of the Farmington Falls Electric Company are also found in this series.
Series II contains a small amount of material from the Franklin Light & Power Company and Wilton Light Company. Financial information from the Phillips Electric Light & Power Company is also included, as well as an account book from the Kingfield Line Company. Each of these companies also has a separate record in URSUS, the Library’s on-line catalog; therefore its assigned manuscript number is included in its description. In addition, the ledger number used as a location identifier has been added to each description.
Box and Ledger List
Series I: Records of Maine Consolidated Power Company
Ledger Daybooks, no. 1-47, 1921-1965 (48 vols.)
Ledger Cashbooks, no. 1-194, 1925-1941 (194 vols.)
Ledger Cashbook 195: 1954-1957, Phillips
Ledger Cashbook, 1950-1954
Ledger Cash journals, no. 1-41, 1916-1966 (41 vols.)
Ledger Daily cash receipts, 1964-1966
Ledger Miscellaneous, 1912-1921, 1935 (7 vols.)
Ledger Journal, 1915-1916, 1947-1950 (2 vols.)
Ledger General journal, 1917-1920, 1928-1931 (2 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1917-1966 (13 vols.)
Ledger Transfers to Kingfield general ledger, 1928 (2 vols.)
Ledger Kingfield general ledger, 1929-1941
Ledger Construction work in progress, 1919-1920 (2 vols.)
Ledger Pole prices, 1939-1940
Ledger Operating notes, 1947-1950
Ledger General ledger, Farmington Falls Electric Co., 1928-1931
Ledger Daybook, Farmington Falls Electric Co., 1940-1941
Ledger New garage, Farmington, 1948
Ledger Franklin Light Co.: notes payable, 1912-1923
Ledger C.O. Sturtevant: personal notes payable, 1908-1923
Box 1-4 Revenue journal, cash, accounts payable, general journal, 1930-1966
1 Valuation of physical property, 1928
2-5 Annual reports to the Maine Public Utilities Commission, 1954-1966
6 Property tax studies, 1962, 1964
7 Miscellaneous financial reports, 1958, 1965
8-9 Auditor’s report, 1966
10 Work papers in connection with accrued interest on customer deposits ...
Series II: Records of predecessor companies
Franklin Light & Power Company (MS 186; Ledgers F854)
Ledger Trial balances, 1925-1926
Wilton Light Company (MS 632; Ledger W711)
Ledger Valuation document, 1928
Phillips Electric Light & Power Company (MS 405; Ledgers P541)
Box 1-2 Accounts payable and receivable, 1917-1939, 1950-1956
Box 2 Miscellaneous reports, 1965-1966
Ledger Accounts receivable ledger, 1950
Ledger Cash receipts, 1949-1950; 1960-1964 (2 vols.)
Ledger Ledgers, 1940; 1946-1966 (5 vols.)
Kingfield Line Company (MS 279; Ledgers K58)
Ledger Account book, 1928-1941
Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at email@example.com or (207) 581-1686 for further information.