Skip Navigation

Special Collections: Guide to the Robert W. Traip Academy Records

Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
June 2008

Collection title: Robert W. Traip Academy Records
Collection number: MS 437
Dates of collection:
Size of collection: 2 boxes


The Robert W. Traip Academy was founded in Kittery, Maine, in 1905 as a private preparatory school. It was named for Robert W. Traip, a descendant of one of Kittery’s early settlers. Traip, who died in 1864, left a will providing funds later used to construct the school. The Academy remained a private school under contract to the town of Kittery until 1967 when its property was sold to the town. It has been expanded several times with new buildings being added as the student population increased and new needs were identified.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains records of the Board of Trustees of the Robert W. Traip Academy. These include minutes of meetings of the Board, deeds and other legal documents, ledgers of financial accounts, and subject files concerning building projects at the school. Of particular interest is a photograph album containing pictures of construction of the original building in 1904.

Contents of Boxes

Box 1


1 Records of meetings of Board of Trustees, Jan. 31, 1900-Oct. 25, 1932
2-3 Records of meetings of Board of Trustees, Aug. 15, 1944-Mar. 25, 1967
4 Certificates of organization, regulations, by-laws, 1902, 1905
5 Board of Trustees lists of members, 1900-1927, 1960
6 Deeds and other legal documents
7-8 Correspondence, 1926-1965, 1968-1975
Ledger Ledger of expenses, 1900-1918
Ledger Journals of expenses, 1939-1961 (4 volumes)
Ledger Amounts received and paid, 1900-1919
Ledger Journal of cash received and paid, 1912
Ledger Trustees of Academy: Yearly summary and inventory, 1921-1943
9 Tuition contracts, leases with town of Kittery, 1928-1952
10 Public Works Administration applications, correspondence, etc., for new buildings at Academy, 1936-1938
11 Farmers’ Union property: correspondence, legal documents, 1939-1941
12 Report from Commissioner of Education re inspection of schools, 1952
13 Trustees: miscellaneous information
14 Photograph album: construction of Academy, 1904
15 Commencement and other programs, 1895, 1901, 1904

Box 2

Academy embosser

Finding Aids for selected manuscript collections in the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library are accessible online in URSUS, in a browsable Guide to Manuscript Collections. Please contact Special Collections at or (207) 581-1686 for further information.

Return to top level page

Special Collections Staff: | Revised: 03/31/2015
5729 Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5729
Phone: 207-581-1661 | Fax: 207-581-1653
© Copyright 2000-2015
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469