Purpose: To create a bib and item record for URSUS by downloading a MARC record from OCLC using the Sierra interface. In the process, OCLC WorldCat is updated to show University of Maine (MEU) holdings.
Start with approval/profile books (p), firm orders (r) and gift materials (g) ready for cataloging.
Priority items may be delivered directly to staff member's desk for immediate processing. Otherwise, priority is given to items as follows:
First search for existing bib in URSUS
If no record is found in URSUS, open OCLC Connexion Client
- Date: Triangle method recommended: the date of the book must match date in the fixed field, call number, and field 260/subfield c (exception: conference proceedings use date of conference, not date of publication, for the call number). Printing date need not match if the latest copyright date matches.
- Title. Must match 245 field exactly. If the only available record is CIP (ELvl=8), consult with Original Cataloger as needed.
- Last numbered page.
- LC call number. There must be a complete LC call number. If it is tagged 050, no further action is required. If it is tagged 090, change tag to 050. If there is an 'x' at the end of the call number, delete the x. If the call number includes a volume number, put book aside; this may indicate the need for a classification decision. If there is any unwanted call number tagged 050, 086 or 092, change the tag to 949. If an unused call number has an indicator value of 0 or 1, delete the indicator value. If there is no usable call number, route to Original Cataloging.
Note on Juvenile Subject Headings
Subject headings assigned from the Library of Congress Juvenile Subject Headings are found in field 650 with second indicator = 1. Orono practice is to change to regular LCSH coding if headings are identical. If the juvenile heading does not match LCSH, it is left as is. Procedure:
- Change the second indicator of all juvenile headings (650 _1) from 1 to 0.
- Validate control headings in Connexion Client <Shift F11>.
- Headings that turn blue are OK.
- If any headings do not turn blue change them back to 2nd indicator = 1.
- Proceed with preparing and downloading the record as usual.
- Subject heading. Except for literary works, there should be at least one 65x_0 subject heading. 653 and 655 subject headings can remain in the record, but cannot be the only headings. See below for special instructions on 650_1 juvenile subject headings. Pass to Original Cataloging if any questions.
- Series. Series title, if applicable, should appear in the 830 field (or 440 field).
- New field: 949 33 *
- ov-.oxxxxxxx; [number of order record to be overlaid, from the order slip. Skip this step in the case of gifts or if there is a note on the order slip specifying "no overlay"] A bib record can be overlaid as well, use ov-.bxxxxxxx
- b1-b; [record type: b = monograph]
- b2-o; [input library code: o = orono]
- b3-e; [where e is an example of an assigned cataloger's initial; check yours with trainer or supervisor]
- bn-oro; [bib record branch code]
- i-xxxxxxxxxxxxx [from sheet of barcodes provided, place barcode on book in upper right-hand corner of back cover; if book cover present remove and place in box before adding barcode. Use a barcode reader to enter the number in the 949 field]
- /loc-osta [item location code; osta is most common, other locations indicated by flag in book]
- /sta is '-' the default option for available
- /ty-1 [item type code; 1=book]
- /i2- [acquisition type; p=approval; r=firm order; g=gift; s=standing order] - check white slip in book for circled 'r' which indicated a firm order. Approval is the default status. Gift indicated on flag
- NOTE: All of the fields are entered in one stream, separated by ; or /, without spaces. Example: 94933*ov-.oxxxxxx;b1-b;b2-o;b3-e;bn-oro;i-12345678990/loc-osta/ty-1/i2-p
- Toggle back to pre-cat title search and click enter a second time. If overlayed properly, will still retrieve single record.
- Check the item record for date, call# , location, etc.
- Select View --> Public Display to review the record from the patron's perspective.
- While in public view, click call number link to insure only one record in URSUS with that call number
- Open attached order record. Suppress the order record by inserting today's date in the CDATE fixed field . This removes the message "1 copy being processed..." from the public display.
- Refresh view of public display to confirm order record suppression.
- If present, test 856 field link. If link is commercial in nature and does not provide additional information (eg. tables of contents or contents summary) suppress by changing MARC tag to 949.