Learning Materials Collection: Downloading from
Purpose: to create a bib and item record with
customized location and call number data for representation in URSUS. Includes
downloading a MARC record using OCLC Connexion and adding UM's symbol to OCLC's
WorldCat. (See also Learning Materials
Graphic Novels, for information on cataloging graphic novels.)
Start: Approval/profile books (p), firm orders (r) and gift
materials (g) ready for cataloging. Precat search of URSUS has already determined that no
cataloging record exists on URSUS. Acquisitions brings materials to designated
shelf on the central shelving area in Cataloging. Materials should have flag for LMC location.
Firm orders have highest priority. Priority items may be delivered directly to staff member's desk
for immediate processing.
- Having pre-searched URSUS and finding no bibliographic record match
- Log on to Connexion http://connexion.oclc.org
- Each book:
- Search OCLC using scan ti=Words in the title. If the
title is too generic other options include: ISBN, author/title key, or
title key for a bib record matching the book. Check for matching information in the fields
below. Book must match on all fields, except as noted. If no matching record is
found, put book aside.
- date (check in the fixed field, as well as 260, the imprint
field). Printing date need not match if the latest copyright date matches.
- Call number 050 in the bib record found on OCLC (eg.
PZ8 ...) Use PZ (LC juvenile classification) for Audiovisual
materials only. Use empty 090 field to enter call number changing tag to 092
If an 050 field is present in the bib, leave as is. When checking
item record after export (step 8 below), change
the tag of the second (050) call number to 949. This
effectively suppresses the number but leaves it available to other
libraries in the shared catalogue system.
- title In the case of CIP records (Enc lvl=8), the
title may not match exactly; change the title to agree with the book. If the book has a
subtitle that is lacking on the screen, add the subtitle to the record.
- last numbered page
- subject heading. There should be at least one 65x 0
subject heading. 650 indicator '1' change to '0' and validate in
Connexion to be sure the resulting subject heading is a valid LCSH.
- Create a 949 33 field (local information which will be added to
the records created in URSUS during the downloading process as
- ov-.oxxxxxxx; [number of order record to be overlaid,
from the order slip. Skip this step in the case of gifts or if there is a note on the
order slip specifying "no overlay"]
- b1-b; [record type: b = monograph]
- b2-o; [campus code: o = orono]
- b3- ; [cataloger's initial]
- bn-olmcb; [bib record branch code]
- i-[from sheet of bar codes provided, place bar code on book
in upper right-hand corner of back cover; if book cover present
set aside temporarily before adding barcode. Use barcode
reader to wand in number in the 949 field]
- /loc-olmc [item location code; osta is most common,
other locations indicated by flag in book]
- /sta- [default status code '-' for "available".
- /ty-1 [item type code; 1=book requestable]
- /i2- [acquisition type; p=approval; r=firm order;
g=gift; s=standing order]
NOTE: All of the fields are entered in one stream, separated by ; or /, without spaces.
Example of 949 field for first record of a session: 949 33
- After all changes are made,
validate the record. Under 'edit' menu pulldown, select last option. Correct errors if necessary.
Pay special attention to subject heading tag changes.
- Update the record on OCLC. Under 'action' menu select "update
holdings" option [Shortcut: <ctrl><shift>u
or F8 function key]
- Export the record to URSUS. Under 'action menu select "export in MARC"
option [Shortcut: <ctrl><shift>e or F5
- Toggle to Sierra screen and select "print
label" from the Tools menu at the top of the screen.
- Check URSUS to see that the overlay worked:
- Suppress public display of order record by inserting
today's date in the CDATE fixed field of the order record.
- Check date in item record: call# , location, etc.
- Books with "do not overlay" instruction: place
order slip in box labeled "suppress ORDER number." Other order slips put aside
and discard at end of OCLC work session. Place book on truck or pile on the desktop.
- Log out of OCLC. Take cataloged books and labels to work
area - your own desk or the physical processing area. Separate labels and put each in the
top of the corresponding book, with call number showing. Check to be sure each label is in
the right book.
- Record statistics of titles & volumes cataloged for each
library (Fogler, DC).
- Put books on processing truck for physical processing.
Extra step required of making and applying plastic
covers. LMCFolio titles should be placed in the appropriately sized
hanging bag. Labels will be needed for the bag as well as the
Return to the Technical