Purpose: To process and record invoices in the URSUS
automated system using the Acquisitions Module .
UMS accounting interface is run on Wednesday afternoon. Invoices and updated
order records are avaialble for review early Wednesday morning, all invoices
must be processed by the 4:PM posting deadline on Tuesday. Invoicing may resume
late Wednesday afternoon after notification that system interface procedures are completed.
Prior to entering the pay an invoice module:
- Locate Sierra order record and fund code by logging into
Sierra and selecting Place Orders from the Acquistions drop
down menu in upper right hand corner of screen.
- Search for order record via title or order number if you
have it. NOTE: if title search does not work, and no
order number avaialble, check the filing cabinet next to
Sue's desk for prior year's invoice which will have the
order number noted on it.
- Fund ocde is located in the Fund field of the order
- Note both the order record number and fund code on
invoice - make copy of invoice for our files.
Once the order record is located, compare amount on current
invoice to amount for prior year's purchase; report any
price increases greater than 10% to Deb Rollins. Deb will
advise if payment should go forward. Note order record and fund
code on invoice next to product title After all invoices
have been reviewed and coded, make one copy to retain in our
Note: ALL NERL invoices must be expedited
- this is achieved by simply adding GCY after the invoice number
and slash (i.e. 12345/GCY; see order in Sierra:
o7078468 ). The GCY indication will force
a separate payment to be dispatched the week of the interface as
opposed to the usual net 30 day treatment invoices receive.
NERL is an ACH (payment is dispatched electronically) vendor, so
their payment will be sent out Thursday evening.
Note: Checks that will be returned to the
Library for mailing must also be entered as /GCY. Make an
additional copy of the invoice, clip a pink 'return check to
Library' request slip to the upper left hand corner of the extra
copy. Keep this copy together with original and file copy.
invoices by logging into Sierra:
- Select "Pay An Invoice" from the Sierra Acquisitions
drop down menu located in upper right hand corner of screen.
- Resulting spreadsheet display will allow you to
select a pay file.
Select by highlighting line 1 or 2. (Note: Augusta uses line 3; the remaining
lines are not used for invoicing.) Double click on the line to open
invoice data entry screen.
- Screen display will now have several areas to key in the following
- Invoice number - (ex. 025226/
) (Be sure / slash
every invoice number). If special handling is required, check the
- If the invoice lacks a number, use the account number on the
invoice. This generally applies to smaller publishers.
See for example: o4204207 for the Bangor Daily News.
- Invoice date - double click for calendar (ex.
7/28/09). If invoice does not have date, use date of entry as
invoice date. Note: cannot process an invoice with
a date in the future
- Enter order/record # (or title) noted on invoice
(no prefix or end slash needed here). Hit enter key.
- Amount for item (Always use Net amount in
U.S. dollars. If
the invoice is in a foreign currency, consult the
Universal Currency Converter.
- Note field: scroll down order record to view and follow previous pattern of payment entries (ex. VOL
- Click enter to move on to next invoice item
- Repeat steps in 3-7 above for each item on invoice
Totaling the invoice
- Double check all elements, especially the invoice number (with
- Click "Finish" button (from Icon bar near top of
screen) when all invoice items have
been entered on the displayed spreadsheet.
- Prompts will appear for the following information
- Shipping? If any put the amount in.
Service charges must also be added here.
- Services charges or discounts? Long standing glitch in
the system. SKIP this field.
- Total of invoice: enter amount stated on invoice.
Click "Finish" button.
- Totals should balance. If not, the total will be displayed in red.
Refer to the line items above to check and make necessary corrections.
NOTE: You can right click the order number cell and select "remove line"
option if you need to start over with a given title.
- Click "Finish" icon once again to complete process with
- Click on Yes to confirm finishing invoice.
- Click "New invoice" button to proceed to next invoice
- When all invoices have been processed, click "Quit"
button to exit the payment file. Essential for posting.
Adding information to paper invoice copies
- Write date on both original and copy of invoice and
the yellow slip
- On yellow slip write: a) account number (always
5-2-41906) b) fund code
(ex. 767), c) total amount and d) your initials.
If invoice is split between two accounts, add subtotal on separate lines
with discrete account numbers. Total and initial. NOTE: Special fund
accounts (i.e. RE20, RA20, etc. all translate to 761 for Acquisitions purposes).
- Staple yellow slip to lower left corner of front page of ORIGINAL
invoice. Note: If invoice is multiple pages, have last page with
totals on top for easy review.
- ORIGINAL copy with stapled yellow slip goes in
folder for Acquisitions; invoices should be placed in folder in alphabetical
order. Second copy goes to waiting slot on file cabinet for filing.
- If check needs to come back to the Library (some
checks will need copy of invoice enclosed). An additional copy of this
invoice will have been made during the pre-invoice module steps; this
copy will have a pink 'return check to Library' request slip attached to the
upper left hand corner. This copy of the invoice will be sent to the
Business Office along with the "yellow-slip" copy discussed in #2 above in
this section. Person that processes interface will see the pink slip
and will alert Susan C. to request the check be returned to the Library.
record is full (max. of 125 payments)
- If full, notice will pop up on screen with button to create new order
record. All information will be copied from existing to new record
- Close full order record by changing status fixed field to "d". Save and
- Put new order record number on invoice.
- Return to your invoice session and enter the new order
record number for payment.
If there is a title change
- If title on invoice and title on corresponding order
record bib do not match, first check physical piece to confirm change
- Open Serials module and search URSUS for new record.
It is very possible the record already exists and that the vendor has used
the obsolete order record number on the invoice.
- If record is not found on URSUS, request record download
- Continue to process the invoice, particularly if multiple
items on same invoice so as not to delay payment.
- When record is available, be sure to FOLLOW UP with
transfer of active order record to new bib record. Note that the
order record is locked and cannot be transferred until after posting.
If there is a credit memo to be applied to an invoice, follow
the procedures outlined in
Credit Memo Processing
If there is a Z invoice to be entered:
Invoices that are paid by Susan C (Business Office), but
must be tracked in Sierra for budgeting purposes, are called Z invoices.
Follow steps at top of procedure for entering invoice
information with one EXCEPTION
Enter the invoice number, slash, space, Z (this tells the
system not to cut a check for this invoice, but tallies the amount against
the corresponding fund in the order record.)
account codes list
outlines special handling information
Return to the Technical
Created by: Sharon Fitzgerald|