Creating an MLR for Serials
Purpose: To create an MLR (minimum level record) when there are no
available versions to download. Suitable for title changes and new
In Millenium SERIALS module (URSUS):
- Click File in upper left-hand corner of the screen
- Click New Record
- Choose Bibliographic Record;
- Choose from template options "Serials". You will be prompted for the following
- Branch = oro (for Orono)
- Cat Date = double click for calendar date selection; select
- Mat Type = s (for Serial)
- Input Libr = o (for Orono)
- Initials = o (for OSF); default to Sharon's initials
- i PUBN # = type in ISSN number
- Next MARC field prompts will appear for variable length fields
- 022 field (ISSN #): skip if not available
- Author = skip by clicking Next
- Title = type title in ALL CAPS. *Note: in the second blue square box after
245, back up the cursor to put the
number of skip characters needed for a leading article (eg. A=2, An=3 or The=4).
Also Millennium auto checks for duplicate
titles. Review results screen and then close.
- Alt Title = skip by clicking Next
- Continue inserting any information readily available (eg. publisher).
Hit "next" to move through MARC fields presented including subject
- x Continues = IF a title change, type in the old title
- Continued by = skip by clicking Next
- Next you will be prompted for attached order record field information
- Acq Type = p (for periodical)
- Location = ocper (for current periodicals), fund = 763 (for current
- Skip Requestor and all other prompts except Vendor (eg. ebs
for Ebsco) if that information is given
- If a title change, the Periodicals Assistant will
transfer the old attached order and
check-in records to the new bib record.
- In either case the Periodicals Assistant will
check-in any physical issues available.
*Note: Serial Info. must haves are: ISSN #, Title, and
x Continues =
Old title (if it's a title change)
Return to the Technical Services Page.
Created by: Library Staff |