Purpose: To check in physical issues of our newspaper subscriptions,
some of which arrive daily.
Begin by logging onto Millennium Serials module.
- From Index pull down select the title search option
- Type in the newspaper title (eg. Bangor Daily News)
- Read check notes regarding weekend vs. daily edition check in (eg. Sun
- Whatever box is highlighted will be checked in (NOTE: be sure to
check the issue in hand against the automatically highlighted box. May
not be the same. Move mouse to appropriate box to switch to another
- Click checkin box or type c. Check for the following
details -- don't assume the projected information is correct.
- Dates (will prompt if not already in
- Notes: enter notes if needed (eg.: partial number of copies
- For modifications (eg. incorrect date for paper coming in thrice
- Highlight the boxes to be changed. Hold the <ctrl> key to
highlight multiple boxes.
- Right click on one of the boxes highlighted
- Select the "box menu"
- Select "update boxes as a group"
- In resulting dialog box see window options for updating cover date,
expect date, volume, etc.
- Click OK when changes done
- Insert any new boxes before checking in the last box otherwise card
status will change to f=filled. (Adding a range of boxes for
dailies is more efficient)
- If card is filled, go to the top and delete range of boxes
- Set aside copies headed for Special Collections archive (eg. Bangor
- Count and deliver rest to North checkout desk. Circulation
staff will then date with Sharpie.
- For Special Collections copies, apply their stamp and place on shelf
by water cooler. Staff will pick up daily.
- Close checkin card and save changes
3. Check in record updates (as need)
- Expect dates: review to be sure in sync with time of receipts in hand;
seldom required. If so:
- Click last box checked in
- Hold down and highlight subsequent expected boxes
- Right click and select box menu --> update boxes as a group
- In resulting dialog box check boxes for expect dates
- Check box for cover dates if that requires updating as well
- Card status: Go to parameters to change if necessary.
- Checknotes: Delete as necessary.
4. Print label - does not apply.
5. Claiming - does not apply.
- If more than one copy arrives and our records indicate one current
subscription, check the label on the paper. May need to route to other
campus locale. Bring to on-campus out bucket in the Mail Room.
Return to the Technical
Created by: Library Staff |