Processing New and Changed Periodical Titles
Purpose: To add new periodical titles and
modify existing ones to reflect title changes in URSUS. Continuity will enhance user access and proper checkin, claiming, binding and shelving
Periodicals Assistant will:
- Search URSUS for new title. If record is found, transfer order
record. Pass on to Library Specialist Periodicals (Michael) to close old and create new checkin
- If no record in URSUS, make title page printout and pass on to Serials
Cataloger (Kim) to download record from OCLC. If no record readily available
proceed with creating a minimum level record (MLR)
- Photocopy the title page and verso
of the issue of the new title as well as any other information which might be helpful in
identifying cataloging copy on OCLC. A print-out of the URSUS record (MARC
bib display) of the old title is
attached to the front of the photocopy if a title change.
- Writes the URSUS bib number of the MLR
(Minimal Level Record) for the new title on the printout.
- Indicate if item is an "overdue"
title change. (This is a title change that was not caught at the time the first issue of
the new title was checked in and may only be caught by other staff after the fact during
an OCLC search while handling another process.)
- Place photocopy with attached print-out in Kim's mailbox, with DATE and INITIALS.
- Attach new checkin record
to MLR bib.
- Transfer order record
to MLR bib.
- Notify Kim to overlay old serial record in order to close.
- Inserts box in old checkin record indicating the
title change to prevent any claims on wrong title. Delete any checkin
boxes for forthcoming issues (ie. Status is "filled").
Serials Library Specialist (Kim) will:
- Search for cataloging copy on OCLC.
- If no copy is found in a 2-3 month period, create an original serial
record, consulting with Head of Technical Services as needed.
If copy is found
- At serials OCLC workstation (Kim):
- update for OCLC [in home position type: u <f11>
- delete 850 field if one is present
- overlay the MLR for the new title with appropriate OCLC
copy, using the bib number written on the photocopy.
- type ov-.b_______
- Search for the previous title on OCLC (Kim):
- If closed, overlay the existing open bib record in
- Create a dummy item record with location = obper Add
line: 949 ov-.b-------/ty-17/loc-obper P/sta-o
NOTE: Most titles will be going to binding.
- Notify UMS library contacts with holdings via e-mail if necessary.
- Serials Cataloger returns photocopy print-out to LS Periodicals so that they can delete the check-in record attached to the old
title if necessary.
- Serials Cataloger will create an attached holdings record for the closed record on
URSUS. Holdings are
determined by looking at the check-in record. Be sure to check the holdings note above the
check-in display as well as the check-in boxes themselves for complete information.
- Example: ORO: PER. STACKS: 1(1949)-25(1974).
Special Case: Title change for periodicals with limited
- Overlay the existing record (ov-o) for the old
title with the OCLC record for the new title.
Return to the Technical
Created by: Library Staff |