Requestor Function Shipping
Purpose: to send and receive materials from other
system libraries which have been requested by patrons using the URSUS "G"
- Get Large Requestor Function truck from Circulation at
- Most material will be shipped via MDS (Maine Delivery
Service), some by U.S. Mail, one location will go by Campus Mail.
- MDS will not go to the far north: Fort Kent and Presque Isle
will have to go by U.S. Mail LIBRARY RATE because of this.
- We send Darling Center books by U.S. Mail, LIBRARY RATE
unless there is a very large shipment (in that case special arrangements for inter-campus
pickup will be made).
- We send all University College books by Campus Mail.
- If a shipment that would go MDS is 5 lbs or lighter, it goes
by U.S. Mail LIBRARY RATE (see below)
- Do not use Gray bins for books in plastic tubs (ask why not)
To Start Getting Requestor Function Books Ready
- Prepare MDS Log Book - Our MDS shipper number is 573N (ALL
OF IT IMPORTANT!) Note: The N is used on the Gray bins only.
- Locate correct label for the destination, stamp with MDS
stamp, fill in weight.
- List destination in log book (follow examples in log:
University of Maine Libraries get listed first, any other libraries going MDS, follow
(Colby, Maine State Library, etc.) Weigh bin. NOTE THAT THE SCALE IS TARED FOR 4 LBS for
use with the Gray bins. Record next highest full pound on label.
- There is a smaller scale that can be used for smaller
packages. Any that go MDS get a label, MDS stamp (filled in). Tape boxes securely, use
some packing materials to protect books.
- For single books bubble envelopes may be used. Secure
address labels with tape, make sure our return address gets stamped in as well as the
LIBRARY RATE. If a box is used, make sure any old information gets covered up or crossed
out to avoid confusion.
- MDS USUALLY PICKS UP AT ABOUT 3 PM
Return to the Technical
Created by: Library Staff |