URL Checker Using Millennium Tool
Purpose: To regularly review Orono imported records
captured in a review file for valid 856 field links.
Create Review File
Parameters for the review file of about 49,000+ bib records named ORO:
URL Checker Deluxe are as follows (saved as...) :
- Mark Tag 856 field has ://
- 049 field does not have MEUD (to eliminate govdocs)
- Branch = oro OR Branch = owebb (use "group" button option to add
- 001 field does not have ss (excludes Serials Solutions records)
- Branch ALL fields don’t have LAW
- Branch ALL fields don’t have LWEBB
- 856 fields ALL fields don’t have Shoemaker (excludes the early
American imprints microform, all with same database link)
- 856 fields ALL fields don’t have docutek (reserve records exclude)
- 856 fields ALL fields don’t have catdir (excludes the LC table of
Update Review File
- Highlight file in Create Lists Mode
- Click the Search button
- In resulting dialogue box say "yes" to over-write existing file
- Update file name with current date
- At bottom of screen select "Use existing search"
- Select file again and let run
URL Checker: Interactive Mode
- Select the URL Checker Icon at the bottom of the lefthand navigation bar in
Millennium Cataloging Mode. Display will default to "Automatic Report" which is for
all records and generated by the UMS Systems Office.
- To create an interactive URL checker report, select the "Create" icon
- Select radio button for "Specify another range"
- Under "Range" pull down menu select "Review"
- From resulting "Review" pull down menu select designated review file for ORO
URL Checker. This will take 2-3 hours to run. You can minimize
the screen and leave running while using other applications, or another
session of Millennium, on your workstation.
- Once the interactive report file is ready select "Interactive" button.
- Take a screen shot of the resulting interactive report display.
Will look much like the image capture below. Copy and paste the
image to a file on your desktop to keep for future analysis and
comparisons with other report runs.
Note: This interactive file
can be replaced by another library in the system. Be sure to contact
Maine Infonet office and active
URL Checker users at other URSUS libraries before displacing an
existing interactive file. Currently, Law Library is only other active
Address Results Screen Categories
As shown above, the results display defaults to all category boxes being
checked off. For ease of navigating the results list, uncheck all but
the category you are working on at any given time. Complete
corrections to that category before moving to the next one.
Ideally completion of all category reviews and corrections should not exceed 5
business days from run of file. Notify Sharon when completed so she
can notify the Systems Office should other libraries want access to the
Ignore (no action taken)
- Moved Temporarily
- Connection Times Out
- Connection Refused
- Service Unavailable
- No URL
- HTTP Version Not Supported
- Internal Service Error
- Host Unreachable
Highlight a record in the results list. Select the edit button.
This will bring up the full bib record in order to edit. Always test a
corrected record by going to View--> Public Display and trying the new link
- Find correct URL and update
- If no correct URL available, delete 856 (unless GovDoc; update 856
tag to 949)
- If no correct URL available and the record is shared, change 856 tag
to 949 in order to suppress link
- If bib record is for online version only and 856 no longer functioning,
suppress entire record
- Keep statistics of your updates
- Link not found for edition in record but a more current edition is
available on the Internet. - 949 the existing link and leave bib if the
tangible holdings attached. Then download bib record for edition
with active link. See b38835757 and ...
- If you happen to encounter a serial record with a link to a specific
volume and you discover a higher level page with links to multiple
volumes (editions) exists, go ahead and update the link accordingly.
Created by: Sharon Fitzgerald |