Fairfield, Maine lies on the banks of the Kennebec River in southern Somerset county. The town was first settled in the 1770s and incorporated in 1788. Fairfield's borders changed when it set off land to Norridgewock (twice) and to Bloomfield, as well as annexing an island from Benton. Its current borders were established in 1873. The town seal of Fairfield includes images of a sawmill and a plow.
There are seven villages in Fairfield: Kendall's Mills (or the Village of Fairfield), Fairfield Center, Nye's Corner (or Fairfield Corners), Hinckley (or East Fairfield), North Fairfield (or Quakerstown, Black's Mills, or Blacknell's Mills), Somerset Mills (or Shawmut, Philbrooks Mills, or Lyons Mills)
Fairfield, Maine, in 1910
Several notable individuals have left their mark on the town of Fairfield. Amos F. Gerald was born in 1842 in neighboring Benton. Gerald grew up to be a financier and industrialist who built Maine's first electric light plant and electric train system. In 1900, he built The Gerald Hotel on Main Street in Fairfield. The hotel was a four-storey brick building topped with three gold domes. Perched on the central dome was a statue of the Roman god Mercury.
E.J. Lawrence was another notable resident. Born in Fairfield in 1833, Lawrence became a businessman and a politician. His philanthropic legacy is evident in the names of several local institutions, including the Lawrence Free Library, which was established in 1900, and the Lawrence High School, which was established in 1907.
50 years of Fairfield town reports have been digitized and are available through Fogler Library’s online holdings.
|[Archive of Highlighted Towns]|
|[Back to Town Reports]|