4-1 Creating a new fund, Part 1: Creating a fund code in Sierra
Purpose: To 1) create a new fund code in Sierra, and 2) place it in the Weekly Budget Report
Creating a new fund in Sierra:
- Determine if fund is to be linked to general account or gift account.
- If fund is to be linked to the general account, the external fund code number you will need later is “1”.
- If fund is to be linked to the general gift account, the external fund code number you will need later is “33”.
- If fund is to be linked to a specific gift account that does not already exist in the external fund code list , complete steps for “4-1 Creating a new fund, Part 1: External fund accounts” before proceeding.
- In Sierra, choose “Funds” from the Acquistions section of the drop-down menu.
- Click “New” at the top of the screen.
- Enter a unique four or five letter code (general account codes begin with “o”, gift account codes begin with “r”),
- Click Next.*
- Enter name of fund, click Next.*
- In the external fund box, enter the number as determined in step 1.
- Add any necessary information in the note fields, such as the subject matter and any virtual or printed bookplate information for that fund.
- Click Save.
- The fund code is now ready to be placed in fund fields of order records.
* Note: It is helpful to use a copy of the Weekly Budget Report to use as guideline when deciding fund names, codes, and folder names. Fund codes often resemble fund names.
To place a fund in the proper section of the Weekly Budget Report:
- In the “Funds” section of Sierra, click on the “Hierarchies” folder in the left side of the screen
- Click on “UM Libraries folder”.
- In the main part of the screen, click on subfolders under the “UM Libraries folder” until you find the folder that you want to place the new fund in.
- Click “Put”.*
- Choose your newly created fund from the list and click “Done”.
- Your new fund should appear in the list.
*Note that you may need to make a new folder before you insert your new fund. If this is the case, click on the “New Group” button on the top of the screen and enter the name of the new folder you would like to add. Once that folder (group) is created, you can enter your new fund code inside that folder (steps 4 &5).*