ERM: Activating eRef Book for Summon at Database Level
Purpose: To activate electronic reference books in Serials Solutions so they are discoverable in Summon (One Search) without a subsequent MARC record downloaded into URSUS when the database activation is necessary. See the following for Activating at the Title Record.
1. Starting at the home screen, do a title search for the book you would like to turn on. The first drop down arrow should say “All titles” and the title should be in the search box.
2. Hit the green arrow to search. If the title is in SerSol’s collection it will appear. Click on the title to show the holdings.
3. Now that all of SerSols holdings are shown, find the relevant provider and database. If you know that the collection is already turned on skip to step #3 of Activating eRef Book for Summon at Title Level. If not, open the collection by clicking on the database name. In this example we are looking for a title provided by Oxford so we would choose “Oxford Reference Library”.
4. Now that the database is open, determine if it has already been turned on by checking the “Status of the database”. If it is already turned on the status will be “Subscribed” and you should hit back and skip to step #3 of Activating eRef Book for Summon at Title Level. If the status is “Not tracked” then click “Edit” in the right hand corner of the screen.
5. Find “Status” and change the drop down menu from “not Tracked” to “Subscribed” and hit save in the right hand corner.
6. Now that you have “Subscribed” to the database, there are many more details listed for the collection. Go back to the right hand corner and choose “Edit” once again.
7. You can now uncheck the “360 MARC Updates” and “MARC-Group” options listed under “Display In”.
NOTE: If you do not wish to turn on all of the titles in the collection you should also check “We subscribe to only some of the titles in this database” at this point, as shown in the screenshot above.
8. Be sure to save the changes you made by hitting save in the upper right corner.
9. Add newly activated titles to the spreadsheet on S:/Cataloging/Summon/EbooksforSummon_proactive
NOTE: Once you have made these changes at a database level, any future title you activate in this database will be turned on with the the same details saved.
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.