Orders: Process for Setting Up Journal Order Records
Purpose: to create attached order records for journal subscriptions of various kinds including: print, online, online + print and electronic journal packages.
- Requests generally arrive from Head of Collections and are clustered in September during the annual renewal period.
- Search for title on URSUS to see if bibliographic record already exists. In the case of subscriptions dependent on having subscribed to the paper format, attach order record to bibliographic record already in URSUS.
- If bibliographic record not available on URSUS, ask Albie to download an OCLC record using Connexion; suppress
- Proceed with order record creation as follows in the Serials Millennium module
- Start at Summary screen tab of the bibliographic record
- From the “View” pulldown select order
- Click the “Attach New Order” button
- If print + subscription, build on print bib record
- A series of dialogue boxes will come forward to prompt for the following values
- Fixed fields
- acq type = p (purchase) or c (comes with if associated with another subscription)
- location = ocper for print, osci for print science title, oweb (Orono web resource) if ejournal restricted to Orono,cyber if ejournal access is unrestricted. Note: if location is unclear, confer with Head of Collections
- fund = 763 for print, 763e for ejournal
- requestor = l (library staff)
- div/sch= t, h or s (technology, humanities or social science)
- cat status = <Click “Next” button>
- E price = <Click “Next” button>
- form = p (print) or b (datafile)
- ord type = s
- rloc = 7 (serials acquisition)
- bloc = 7 (serials acquisition)
- status = f or o if a delay in fulfillment
- vendor = select from list if vendor code is unknown (eg. ebs for Ebsco)
- Variable length fields:
- R> Requestor. Head of Collections or specified subject specialist.
- V> Vendor note = <Click “Next” button>
- Z> internal note = As needed (eg. “E-subscription comes with paper subscription”)
- Insert the following internal notes:
- I> identity field: The text should be in all caps. Examples: ONLINE, ONLINE + PRINT, ONLINE PACKAGE. No identity field needed if print only as this is still the default format as of 9/08
- Z> Contact information including network support if provided for ejournals
- Z> Instructions from Head of Collections regarding change in format or purchase arrangement. Examples:
- 9/16/08: REINSTATED PER DEB ROLLINS FOR 2009. sqf in .o4135350
- 9/17/08: NO LONGER PURCHASED AS PART OF IMF PKG. PRINT ONLY NOW PAID ON THIS RECORD PER DR. sqf in .o4203860
- 9/9/08: CANCEL for FY09 per DR (access via NERL Cambridge pkg) in .o6957456
- Add the cdate. The system does NOT prompt you for this fixed field information! Use today’s date.
- Add subject codes and department codes when provided. These will be the same for paper and print.
- Save record
5. Attach item record if required.
- Select summary screen tab of title
- From “View” pulldown menu select “Item”
- Click “Attach new item” button
- At dialogue box prompt for Call number click “Next” button
- Enter the following
- itype = 51
- location = oweb
6. Activate online access in the Serials Solutions Client Center
7. Bibliographic record for electronic journals is provided by Serials Solutions and updated monthly. If title is online only then the order record should ultimately be transferred to the ssj bib from the original created to sustain the order record. SSJ records result from activation of a title in the Client Center’s Database Management System by the Periodicals L.A.
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.