ERM: Attaching Open-ended Checkin Record
Purpose: To create an open-ended checkin record with holdings for electronic serials titles.
Open Sierra in the Catalog mode.
Set default checkin record format
- Open Sierra interface
- Admin > Settings > New Records tab
- Under New Record Templates Checkin select “_c Checkin default” from the drop down menu
- Click Save settings
- Click OK
Create a check-in record
- Call up the desired record
- Click on Summary
- Choose “Checkin” from the View dropdown menu
- Click “Attach New Checkin” button
- Enter the Frequency of publication (e.g. – Irregular; d daily; m monthly) and click next
- Leave “Label type” undefined and click next
- Leave “Fund/Keyer” undefined and click next
- Set copies at “1” and click next
- Enter OWEB for UM Orono Online (or CYBSW, if the item is a System-wide electronic resource) and click next.
- Set RLOC at 7 and click next
- Set “Vendor” at “None” and click next
- Leave “Identity” blank and click next
- Enter a check note along the lines of: “Open ended online Canadian Government document” and click next.
- Leave “Lib. has” blank and click next
- Leave “Ven. Addr.” blank and click next
- Enter the call number from the 092 field, as appropriate, and click next
Create Card Dialog Box
- Set “Items on card” to zero (0)
- Check mark “Suppress OPAC display”
- Click OK
Add Holdings Record
- Click Holdings link in the left-hand menu bar
- Click “Add New Range”
- In the Create Caption window, select the appropriate levels of enumeration (typically 1 or 2)
- Uncheck the Display Caption boxes to decrease visual clutter in resulting record.
- Click submit.
- Check the “Open Ended” box
- Fill in the appropriate holdings “From” information according to volume, number, year, as appropriate
- Click Apply Changes button
- Click “Save”
- Preview in the public view
Suppress Item Record
- If an item record is present, suppress it in order to avoid duplication of location information in the public view
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.