for Setting Up a Database Resource
Purpose: to create bibliographic and order records in
URSUS for remote databases with hyperlinks to online access. A
record will also be keyed into the Mariner database for indexes and
1. Receive Request - Head of Collections or subject specialist will generally provide information via
the electronic resource form. Periodically check the form results at : http://development.library.umaine.edu/staff/_private/form_results.htm.
If item requires payment the order
process will be handled separately.
2. Record in URSUS - The completed form should indicate bib number of existing URSUS
record if available. If not, search OCLC for an appropriate record or help
copy. If no record available, notify Sharon and set aside to search again next
3. Add dummy item record
- Go to the record Summary
- from the "View" pulldown choose "i ITEM"
- Click "Attach New Item" button
- Leave Call# blank and Click "Next"
- Edit the "I TYPE" field (Double-click "I TYPE" for a list of item types)
- Edit the LOCATION field:
- 'oweb' for Orono
- 'cyber' for System
- 'cybsw' for Statewide
4. Creating the order record. (CL3 responsible for invoicing and
orders) Generally start with
Acquisitions module. Will be
prompted by the system for fixed and variable field information. Be sure to
check values against the list given below:
a. In the fixed field:
- acq type = p (purchase) or f (free) or
c (comes with paid title)
- location = oweb (Orono web resource) if the
title is restricted to Orono; if access unrestricted the location=cyber
for System or cybsw for statewide
- cdate = today's date
- requestor = l (library staff)
- div/sch= t, h or s
(technology, humanities or social science)
- cat status = <ret>
- E price = <ret>
- form = b (datafile)
- fund = 768
- ord type = s
- rloc = 7 (serials acquisition)
- bloc = 7 (serials acquisition)
- status = c (on order); change status to 'f' when received
- vendor = Note: use vendor "none" for items paid
from the Business Office by Susan Clement
- Double click the fixed field.
- From "Index" pulldown window
select the keyword search.
- If code already exists a record
will be retrieved.
- Check for match.
- Click "Use vendor code" button to
b. Be sure to add the order
date. The system does NOT prompt you for this fixed field information!
c. Subject/department codes should be indicated on the
checklist form by Deb. They are generally the same as for paper version.
d. I> Insert the following internal notes:
- R> requestor: generally Head of Collections unless subject
specialist expressly noted
- I> identity field: The text should be in all caps.
Please see the identity field page for
- Contact information including network support if provided
- Description note (password requirement, when and how to expect
confirmation, initialization, etc.)
e. Recent high levels of fluidity with negotiations, publisher mergers, etc.
require the following checklist:
- Check vendor code for match with invoice in hand. If new vendor code is
needed contact Meg in Acquisitions
- Vendor address - make sure the address in the URSUS system matches the
invoice in hand. Office could relocate, etc. Update as needed
through the Acquisitions module.
- Fund code - check to be sure funding in given year has not been changed.
Should receive notice from Head of Collections. (eg. Online to
microform or Coke Fund, Buck Fund, etc.
- Check for any special handling notes provided by Head of Collections on
copy of invoice, via email or on changes list
5. If the title is an electronic version of a paper
publication, add 530 field:
Also available on the Internet via the World Wide Web.
6. If access is restricted, add a 506 field: (Example:
Available also on the Internet; restricted to institutions with a site/user ID and
7. Key record into
Indexes and Databases Staff Interface
[access restricted by workstation IP address]
NOTE: If there is a limit to the number
of simultaneous users, please add a line to the end of the description field
using html syntax as in the following example:
<b>Licensed Number of Users: 5</b>
8. Notify Tim via e-mail that title is ready for
9. After Tim has notified us,
add 856 field with appropriate subfield
codes to facilitate URSUS web access. (You can also check the URL
Reference page )
- Restricted to Orono example: 85640
|uhttp://physicsweb.org/cgi-bin/Mags/PW/latest|zRestricted access (UM)
- Unrestricted example:
|uhttp://www.lib.uidaho.edu:70/docs/egj.html [Note that in this instance
a subfield z is not required]
Return to the Technical
Created by: Library Staff |