8-2 Receiving Baker & Taylor leased books
Purpose: To receive and inspect Baker & Taylor leased books. Shipments of leased books arrive from Baker and Taylor usually once or twice a week.
- Unpack books and match them with the enclosed packing list to ensure all titles have been received.
- Take note of any “on sale” date on the packing list. Books should not be cataloged or go out on the shelves before this date.
- Inspect book for the overall condition, and any publishing errors (pages still bound together, pages out of order, cover attached upside down, etc.)
- Each book should arrive with the following:
- clear, protective cover,
- University of Maine identification label on the back
- University of Maine barcode on the back cover
- Call number on the lower spine
- red B&T label on the lower spine underneath the call number
- Contact Baker and Taylor customer service (1-800-775-3800) if any of the books are defective or missing any of the items in step 3.
- If books pass inspection (and it is on or beyond the “on sale” dates) they are ready to go to the designated shelf in Cataloging.
- File packing lists with Acquisitions invoice files.
Note: There are no order records in Sierra for leased books. An item record is created for each book in Cataloging.