8-2 Receiving Baker & Taylor leased books
Purpose: To receive and inspect Baker & Taylor leased books. Shipments of leased books arrive from Baker & Taylor usually once or twice a week.
- Unpack books and match them with the enclosed packing list to ensure all titles have been received.
- Take note of any “on sale” date on the packing list. Books should not be cataloged or go out on the shelves before this date.
- Inspect book for the overall condition and any publishing errors (pages still bound together, pages out of order, cover attached upside down, etc.)
- Each book should arrive with the following:
- clear, protective cover,
- University of Maine identification label on the back*
- University of Maine barcode on the back cover
- Call number on the lower spine
- red B&T label on the lower spine underneath the call number*
- Look up title in Sierra. Insert slip with order record number in book.
- Enter an rdate and change status to “a” in the order record. Save.
- Bring to cataloging.
- File packing lists in Acquisitions invoice files.
* We have a supply of UMaine identification labels and red B&T spine labels in case they’re missing