Cataloging: Special Collections Physical Processing
Purpose: To provide guidelines on the physical processing of materials for Rare Books and Special Collections
- ALL dust jackets are left on the books for Special Collections.
- Two call number labels are printed for each book. Affix one to the cover and one to the dust jacket in the appropriate location.
- The barcode is affixed to the dust jacket.
- If the book is a circulating copy (e.g. copy 2), the dust jacket gets covered in a mylar wrapper.
- A Special Collections bookplate, if included, is affixed to the inside front cover of the book.
- NOTHING is affixed to the book itself.
- ALL dust jackets are left on the books for Rare Books.
- The spine labels and barcode are put on a special, acid-free bookmark and inserted, between pages, into the top of the book.
- A regular Special Collections bookplate is also inserted into the top of the book (unless a special plate–Vickery, Taylor, etc.–is specified) which will then be affixed to the bookmark in Special Collections.