Orders: Initiating a Resource with a Minimal Level Record
Purpose: To expedite the ordering process of new, typically online resources when no previous record exists in Sierra /URSUS. Resources include: standard databases, ejournal databases, ebook databases, and individual journal subscriptions.
In Sierra SERIALS module (URSUS):
- Click File in upper left-hand corner of the screen
- Click New Record
- Choose Bibliographic Record;
- Choose from template options “Serials”. You will be prompted for the following fixed fields:
- Branch = oro (for Orono)
- Cat Date = double click for calendar date selection; select today’s date
- Mat Type = s (for Serial)
- Input Libr = o (for Orono)
- Initials = n (for suppressed) till fully available
- Next MARC field prompts will appear for variable length fields
- 022 field (ISSN #): skip if not available
- Author = skip by clicking Next
- Title = type title in ALL CAPS. Note: in the second blue square box after 245, back up the cursor to put the number of skip characters needed for a leading article (e.g. A=2, An=3 or The=4). Also Sierra auto checks for duplicate titles. Review results screen and then close.
- Alt Title = use as needed (typically for abbreviated titles or acronyms) or skip by clicking Next
- Continue inserting any information readily available (eg. publisher). Hit “next” to move through MARC fields presented including subject
- Continues = IF a title change, type in the old title [rarely needed]
- Continued by = skip by clicking Next
- Next you will be prompted for attached order record field information
- Acq Type = p (for periodical)
- Location = oweb (for online resources), fund = 76x (assign as appropriate for example 768 for databases)
- Skip Requester and all other prompts except Vendor (e.g. ebs for EBSCO) if that information is given
- If a title change, the Periodicals Assistant will transfer the old attached order and check-in records to the new bib record.
- Generally the MLR will be replaced by a full bibliographic record:
- Periodicals – generally through activation of the title in the Serials Solutions Client Center which will generate an OCLC record through the 360 MARC program or
- Online databases – an overlay record found or created by Kim
Note: Must haves are title and publisher for next steps in procedure: Processing New Indexes and Databases (IDB). For title changes, should provide: ISSN #, new title, and previous title
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.