Purpose: To process and record invoices in the URSUS automated system using the Acquisitions Module .
Note: The UMS accounting interface is run on Wednesday afternoon. Invoices and updated order records are available for review early Wednesday morning, all invoices must be processed by the 4 PM posting deadline on Tuesday. Invoicing may resume late Wednesday afternoon after notification that system interface procedures are completed.
Prior to entering the pay an invoice module:
- Locate Sierra order record and fund code by logging into Sierra and selecting Place Orders from the Acquisitions drop down menu in upper right hand corner of screen.
- Search for order record via title or order number if you have it. NOTE: if title search does not work, and no order number available, check the filing cabinet next to Sue’s desk for prior year’s invoice which will have the order number noted on it.
- Fund code is located in the Fund field of the order record
- Note both the order record number and fund code on invoice – make copy of invoice for our files.
Once the order record is located, compare amount on current invoice to amount for prior year’s purchase; report any price increases greater than 10% to Deb Rollins. Deb will advise if payment should go forward. Note order record and fund code on invoice next to product title After all invoices have been reviewed and coded, make one copy to retain in our files.
Note: ALL NERL invoices must be expedited – this is achieved by simply adding GCY after the invoice number and slash (i.e. 12345/GCY; see order in Sierra: o7078468 ). The GCY indication will force a separate payment to be dispatched the week of the interface as opposed to the usual net 30 day treatment invoices receive. NERL is an ACH (payment is dispatched electronically) vendor, so their payment will be sent out Thursday evening.
Note: Checks that will be returned to the Library for mailing must also be entered as /GCY. Make an additional copy of the invoice, clip a pink ‘return check to Library’ request slip to the upper left hand corner of the extra copy. Keep this copy together with original and file copy.
Begin processing invoices by logging into Sierra:
- Select “Pay An Invoice” from the Sierra Acquisitions drop down menu located in upper right hand corner of screen.
- Resulting spreadsheet display will allow you to select a pay file. Select by highlighting line 1 or 2. (Note: Augusta uses line 3; the remaining lines are not used for invoicing.) Double click on the line to open invoice data entry screen.
- Screen display will now have several areas to key in the following information.
- Invoice number – (ex. 025226/ ) (Be sure / slash is after every invoice number). If special handling is required, check the account codes list.
- If the invoice lacks a number, use the account number on the invoice. This generally applies to smaller publishers. See for example: o4204207 for the Bangor Daily News.
- Invoice date – double click for calendar (ex. 7/28/09). If invoice does not have date, use date of entry as invoice date. Note: cannot process an invoice with a date in the future. If you have an invoice with a future date, consult with Deb Rollins re: wait and enter invoice after invoice date OR contact vendor to request updated invoice reflecting current date.
- Enter order/record # (or title) noted on invoice (no prefix or end slash needed here). Hit enter key.
- Amount for item (Always use Net amount in U.S. dollars. If the invoice is in a foreign currency, consult the Universal Currency Converter.
- Note field: scroll down order record to view and follow previous pattern of payment entries (ex. VOL 35 1997)
- Click enter to move on to next invoice item
- Repeat steps in 3-7 above for each item on invoice
Totaling the invoice
- Double check all elements, especially the invoice number (with end slash)
- Click “Finish” button (from Icon bar near top of screen) when all invoice items have been entered on the displayed spreadsheet.
- Prompts will appear for the following information
- Shipping? If any put the amount in. Service charges must also be added here.
- Services charges or discounts? Long standing glitch in the system. SKIP this field.
- Total of invoice: enter amount stated on invoice. Click “Finish” button.
- Totals should balance. If not, the total will be displayed in red. Refer to the line items above to check and make necessary corrections. NOTE: You can right click the order number cell and select “remove line” option if you need to start over with a given title.
- Click “Finish” icon once again to complete process with the invoice.
- Click on Yes to confirm finishing invoice.
- Click “New invoice” button to proceed to next invoice
- When all invoices have been processed, click “Quit” button to exit the payment file. Essential for posting.
Adding information to paper invoice copies
- Write date on both original and copy of invoice and the yellow slip
- On yellow slip write:
a) account number (i.e. 5-2-41906)
b) fund code (ex. 767),
c) total amount and
d) your initials.
If invoice is split between two accounts, add subtotal on separate lines with discrete account numbers. Total and initial.
3. Staple yellow slip to lower left corner of front page of ORIGINAL invoice. Note: If invoice is multiple pages, have last page with totals on top for easy review.
4. ORIGINAL copy with stapled yellow slip goes in folder for Acquisitions; invoices should be placed in folder in alphabetical order. Second copy goes to waiting slot on file cabinet for filing.
5. If check needs to come back to the Library (some checks will need copy of invoice enclosed). An additional copy of this invoice will have been made during the pre-invoice module steps; this copy will have a pink ‘return check to Library’ request slip attached to the upper left hand corner. This copy of the invoice will be sent to the Business Office along with the “yellow-slip” copy discussed in #2 above in this section. Person that processes interface will see the pink slip and will alert Susan Clement to request the check be returned to the Library.
- If full, notice will pop up on screen with button to create new order record. All information will be copied from existing to new record automatically.
- Close full order record by changing status fixed field to “d”. Save and close.
- Put new order record number on invoice.
- Return to your invoice session and enter the new order record number for payment.
- If title on invoice and title on corresponding order record bib do not match, first check physical piece to confirm change
- Open Serials module and search URSUS for new record. It is very possible the record already exists and that the vendor has used the obsolete order record number on the invoice.
- If record is not found on URSUS, request record download from Kim.
- Continue to process the invoice, particularly if multiple items on same invoice so as not to delay payment.
- When record is available, be sure to FOLLOW UP with transfer of active order record to new bib record. Note that the order record is locked and cannot be transferred until after posting.
If there is a credit memo to be applied to an invoice, follow the procedures outlined in Credit Memo Processing.
- Follow steps at top of procedure for entering invoice information with one EXCEPTION.
- Enter the invoice number, slash, space, Z (this tells the system not to cut a check for this invoice, but tallies the amount against the corresponding fund in the order record.
- The account codes list outlines special handling information
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.