The Fogler Library Special Collections Department was established in 1970 as a repository for Maine-related material. Virtually all available printed bibliographical, historical, and descriptive works on the state as well as literary titles by Maine authors are housed in this department.
Books, pamphlets, state documents, and other forms of printed material provide extensive coverage of Maine’s cities, towns, counties, people and institutions. These printed resources are complemented by a substantial body of original source materials. While the collections are largely Maine-related, some material pertaining to broader subject areas, such as maritime history, are also found in the department. Our Collections Page provides more about our collections.
A growing number of Special Collections holdings are being digitized and made available for worldwide access at DigitalCommons@UMaine.edu. Additional Maine resources are available through the HathiTrust Maine Collection.
Our latest digital collection, Celebrating Maine’s Bicentennial, 1820-2020, provides online access to materials with particular relevance to the commemoration of 200 years of Maine statehood. We hope the collection will serve as a resource for all residents, students, and scholars. We are also pleased that the materials will be available to support Maine Statehood and Bicentennial Conference being held in Orono Thursday, May 30 to Saturday, June 1, 2019.
For detailed information about our department’s manuscript collections and archival records, we recommend searching our ArchivesSpace online database. Our Finding Aids also remain available in DigitalCommons@UMaine.
Please review our policies before coming in person to use the collection. Most of our boxed manuscript collections, newspapers, and ledgers are housed in the Library Annex. We require one week’s notice in order to make those materials available.
The Special Collections Department is located on the third floor of Raymond H. Fogler Library.
Regular hours during the academic year:
Monday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.*
Thursday and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
*Special Collections closes at 4:00 p.m. when classes are not in session.
Please also note: Special Collections is CLOSED on university holidays when classes are not in session. During the 2018-2019 academic year, these holidays are:
Labor Day (Monday, September 3, 2018)
Columbus Day (Monday, October 8, 2018)
Veterans Day (Monday, November 12, 2018)
Thanksgiving Break (Thursday and Friday, November 22-23, 2018)
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (Monday – Tuesday, December 24-25, 2018)
New Year’s Day (Tuesday, January 1, 2019)
Martin Luther King Day (Monday, January 21, 2019)
Presidents’ Day (Monday, February 18, 2019)
Memorial Day (Monday, May 27, 2019)
For additional information about building hours, visit the Fogler Library hours page.
- In order to use our resources, one must sign the department register and be prepared to present a photo ID.
- Items brought into the department must be stored and only pencil, paper, and laptops are allowed. No pens, laptop cases, bags of any kind, or purses are allowed. Coats must be left at front desk.
- Photocopying or scanning of materials depends on the nature and condition of the material. In most cases, non-flash photography is allowed. Rates and policies for use of materials can be found on the Department Fee Schedule.
- Second copies of books may be borrowed with a valid University of Maine I.D. Card, Bangor Public Library Card, or Courtesy Library Card.
- No manuscript collections will be pulled within 15 minutes of closing. No exceptions.
- Some of our boxed manuscript collections, newspapers, and ledgers are housed in the Library Annex. We require a one week notice in order to make those materials available.
Special Collections is pleased to discuss donations of rare books and Maine-related materials which are in good condition and are appropriate to Fogler Library’s mission. For complete information, see our section on Subject Areas Actively Collected and the Fogler Library Gift Policy.
Inquiries regarding Special Collections can be routed to:
- Special Collections Department, 5729 Fogler Library, Orono, ME 04469-5729
- phone: 207.581.1686
- email: um.library.spc @ maine.edu