Cataloging: Adding Item Records to URSUS
Purpose: To add further specific location holdings to an existing bibliographic record. Field values below vary by format eg. ebook, see http://ursus.maine.edu/record=b6693038
- Call up bib record
- Click: Summary
- Click: Attach New Item
- At pop-up window, Click: OK
- Select: Item
- Prompts from dialogue box :
- Fill in copy # – Click: Next
- ITYPE = 1 or 97 (for ebook)
- Location = osta – Click: Next
- Status = – (for available) or o (for Library use only) – or k (for online)
- Call # – Skip, for now – Click: Next
- Barcode – Scan in barcode after applying to item in hand – Click: Next
- Volume – type in info, if any – Click: Next
- Click: Insert (Prompt for call # will appear) – Type in call # after the tagging
- Fixed fields
- copy = 1
- mat type = b (for book) or 4 (for ebook)
- itype = 1 or 40 (for gov doc)
- location = osta or cybsw (for location)
- status = <RET> k (for online)
- call no.
- Variable fields
- Call number – Enter base call# (do not enter vol.designation)
- Barcode – wand in barcode which has already been placed in upper right corner of outside back cover
- Volume – If applicable, enter volume designation (eg. vol.2)
To Create an item record from an existing item record – this is a useful option when you are adding items to standing order (aka “Adds”) title where all the information matches previous items except the barcode and volume number.
- Retrieve the item record you want to copy, and open it in the edit display
- Choose Edit>Copy Record
- The screen will open with the new unnumbered item record.
- Update the volume number field with volume number of piece in hand
- Add barcode field
Each item record MUST have:
- 050 or 092 call # field, check to make sure proper pre-stamp is used, if required
- location (usually ‘osta’ for stacks but varies according to flag inserted in item)
- mat type = 1
- itype = 1
- Itype 2 (see flag and the order form) Options: r, s, g, or p
- R = firm order
- S = standing order
- G = gift
- P = profile book
- copy = 1 (unless otherwise specified on slip)
Double check the call # and item details.
As a final step, login to OCLC Connexion to add holdings for Fogler Library.
- Search for the record by OCLC number found in the 001 field of the URSUS record. Search prefix is the # sign.
- Under Action menu select “update holdings” option. Change to Action>Holdings>Update Holdings (or press F8).
- Click OK.
When holdings are updated, our institution symbol MEU is added to the OCLC WorldCat record which appears at the top of the screen.
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.