Digitization: Piecing Documents & Reducing File Size
Purpose: To piece together oversize documents (maps and charts) into one document using Adobe Photoshop CS5 and then Adobe Acobat Proto resize .pdf files for online resource use.
I. Adobe Photoshop CS5 Piecing together documents
- New, width 18 inches or higher
- Height 18 inches or higher
- Click OK for New Untitled
- Open one document at a time
- Click on Tab located in work area to select document
Use the crop tool to crop the document to size and desired area for piecing
REPEAT ABOVE STEPS FOR 2nd, 3rd DOCUMENTS, etc…
- Click on the document Tab
- Edit tab, choose copy
- Click on New Document select tabs
- Edit tab, choose paste. The first document placed on New Untitled tab
- Repeat steps above for 2nd , 3rd documents, etc…
- “Save as” PDF
- Save Adobe PDF box open
- Change compatibility to: Acobat 8 (PDF 1.7)
- Options Check: Preserve Photoshop Editing, Optimize for fast web viewing and View PDF after saving
II. Adobe Acobat Pro Steps for reducing pdf. file size
- Printer tab, choose Adobe PDF
- Click on Print
- “Save PDF As” box opens, add a letter (z) to document to change the title, click on save. This reduces the size (KB).
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.