Cataloging: RDA Checklist for URSUS
Purpose: As of Feb 10, 2014, records that are imported into the URSUS catalog from an outside source must be carefully reviewed to see if they meet RDA requirements. If a record does not include RDA specific fields, or if it is a “hybrid” (contains both AACR2 and RDA elements), you will need to edit the record and add missing fields and expand content of existing metadata.
The essential steps are:
- Via Connexion, derive a new record from the AACR2 or hybrid record [Note: If the AACR2 record can be upgraded and replaced rather than derived, OCLC recommends replacing.]
- Apply the appropriate constant data file in Connexion.(referring to RDA Toolkit sources as needed)
- Edit –> Constant Data –> Online –> Apply from list (choose CD appropriate to format)
- Follow the checklist* below for RDA elements.
- Is the material type in the fixed fields correct?
- Expand the MARC Leader. Is the “cat form” coded “i”?
- If a 040 field is present, does it include subfield “|e rda”?
- Does the 1XX include the relationship designator (subfield e)? For a list of relationship designations between a resource and persons or corporate bodies refer to Appendices I in RDA Toolkit or the LC Code List for Relators.
- Title field – capitalize all words except prepositions and articles. (Headline capitalizion)
- If the record has a GMD in the 245 field, have you removed it?
- Is the publication area described in a 264 field instead of a 260?
- If no publisher location, in $a use [Place of publication not indicated]
- If no publisher, in $b use [Publisher not indicated]
- If a copyright date is the only date given, then list date in square brackets in $c. Add a second 264, second indicator 4, $c ©XXXX.
- Do outdated abbreviations appear in th record, especially in the 300?
- Did you add the 546 for “Text in…” ;
- Do the required 336 content, 337 media, and 338 carrier fields exist in the record?
- Do the 7xx fields for corporate bodies have any abbreviations to spell out? (Note: Commonly found in government documents eg. Dept. and U.S.)
- Do the 7xx added entries include a relationship designator (subfield e)? For a list of relationship designations between a resource and persons or corporate bodies refer to Appendices I in RDA Toolkit or the LC Code List for Relators.
Examples of RDA records added to URSUS (PDF 475KB)
Return to Technical Services Table of Contents.