Books on Photography
As photography seems like a great activity to pursue this fall, our books on photography are Desiree’s new favorite. Our collection includes books on the history of photography, travel guides on scenic places, guidebooks on improving techniques, artist collaborations that may serve as models for similar projects, and books about renowned Maine photographers Berenice Abbott, Kosti Ruohomaa, and Madeleine de Sinéty, and others.
These books can easily be browsed in a visit to Special Collections, third floor, Fogler Library, in the section that begins with the Library of Congress call number TR.
Here is a selection of a few titles that may provide inspiration, with links to their records in the library’s URSUS Catalog.
Books on the History of Photography in Maine
- Bischof, Libby. Maine photography : a history, 1840-2015. Lanham, Maryland : Down East Books; Portland, Maine : Maine Historical Society, .
- Bunting, William Henry. Maine on glass : the early twentieth century in glass plate photography. Thomaston, Maine : Tilbury House Publishers ; published with the Penobscot Marine Museum, 2016.
- Chandler, John. Photographing Maine, 1840-2000. [Rockport, Me. : Maine Coast Artists, 2000].
- Monroe, John. First light : the dawn of photography in Maine : an exhibition. Portland, Me. : Maine Historical Society, 1999.
Travel and Guidebooks
- Middleton, David. The photographer’s guide to the Maine coast : where to find perfect shots and how to take them. Woodstock, Vt. : Countryman Press ; New York : Distributed by W.W. Norton, 2004.
- Oppersdorff, Tony. Best nature sites of midcoast Maine : Route 1 corridor, Belfast to Brunswick. Jefferson, Me. : Waterline Books, c2011.
- Rowinski, Jim. L.L. Bean outdoor photography handbook. New York : Lyons Press, 1999.
Artists and Photo Projects
- Abbott, Berenice. Berenice Abbott photographs / forward, Muriel Rukeyser ; introduction, David Vestal. Washington D.C. : Smithsonian Institution Press, 1990.
- Bonner-Ganter, Deanna. Kosti Ruohomaa : the photographer poet. Camden, Maine : Down East Books, an imprint of The Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc., 2016.
- Bowe, Lisa Goodfellow, ed. Portland through the lens: photos of Portland, Maine by Portland photographers. Portland, Me. : Warren Machine Company, Inc., 2007.
- Holownia, Thaddeus. Eastport. Eastport, Maine : Tides Institute & Museum of Art ; Sackville, N.B. : Anchorage Press, 2018.
- Mitchell, Robert. Near home : photographs. Boothbay Harbor, Me. : Connections Publishing, Inc., c1996.
- Vettese, Maria Alexandra. A year of mornings : 3191 miles apart / a photographic collaboration by Maria Alexandra Vettese and Stephanie Congdon Barnes. New York : Princeton Architectural Press, c2008.
- Watts, Todd. Blanchard weather report: photographs by and introduction by Todd Watts, with and afterword by W.M. Hunt. Orono, ME : University of Maine Press, 2019.