The Fogler Library Special Collections Department was established in 1970 as a repository for Maine-related material. Virtually all available printed bibliographical, historical, and descriptive works on the state as well as literary titles by Maine authors are housed in this department.
Books, pamphlets, state documents, and other forms of printed material provide extensive coverage of Maine’s cities, towns, counties, people and institutions. These printed resources are complemented by a substantial body of original source materials. While the collections are largely Maine-related, some material pertaining to broader subject areas, such as maritime history, are also found in the department. Our Collections Page provides more about our collections. Finding Aids for our larger manuscript collections are also available online.
Please review our policies before coming in person to use the collection. Most of our boxed manuscript collections, newspapers, and ledgers are housed in the Library Annex. We require one week’s notice in order to make those materials available.
A growing number of Special Collections holdings are being digitized and made available for worldwide access at DigitalCommons@Maine.edu. Additional Maine resources are available through the Hathi Trust Maine Collection.
The Special Collections Department is located on the third floor of the Raymond H. Fogler Library. A member of the Special Collections staff is available to assist researchers during all open hours.
Regular hours during the academic year are:
- Monday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.*
- Thursday and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
*Special Collections closes at 4:00 p.m. when classes are not in session.
For additional information about building hours, visit the Fogler Library hours page.
Please also note: Special Collections is closed on university holidays when classes are not in session. During the 2017-2018 academic year, in addition to holidays when the entire library is closed, these holidays are:
- Labor Day (Monday, September 4, 2017)
- Columbus Day (Monday, October 9, 2017)
- Veterans Day (Friday, November 10, 2017)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Monday, January 15, 2018)
- Presidents’ Day (Monday, February 19, 2018)
- Patriot’s Day (Monday, April 16, 2018)
- In order to use our resources, one must sign the department register and be prepared to present a photo ID.
- Items brought into the department must be stored and only pencil, paper, and laptops are allowed. No pens, laptop cases, bags of any kind, or purses are allowed. Coats must be left at front desk.
- Photocopying or scanning of materials depends on the nature and condition of the material. In most cases, non-flash photography is allowed. Rates and policies for use of materials can be found on the Department Fee Schedule.
- Second copies of books may be borrowed with a valid University of Maine I.D. Card, Bangor Public Library Card, or Courtesy Library Card.
- No manuscript collections will be pulled within 15 minutes of closing. No exceptions.
- Some of our boxed manuscript collections, newspapers, and ledgers are housed in the Library Annex. We require a one week notice in order to make those materials available.
Special Collections is pleased to discuss donations of rare books and Maine-related materials which are in good condition and are appropriate to Fogler Library’s mission. For complete information, see our section on Subject Areas Actively Collected and the Fogler Library Gift Policy.
Inquiries regarding Special Collections can be routed to:
- Special Collections Department, 5729 Fogler Library, Orono, ME 04469-5729
- phone: 207.581.1686
- email: um.library.spc @ maine.edu