Cataloging: State of Maine Maps
Purpose: To provide a step-by-step procedure for creating earlier edition map records by using later edition map records available in OCLC WorldCat.
- Open WorldCat search window (<F2>).
- Enter title in Command Line search box preceded by “sca ti=” ; or enter title information in Keyword/Numeric Search box, check “Maps” in “Format” box.
- Find the right record for deriving. For detailed instruction regarding locating the best record refer to procedure Copy Cataloging: Locating and Downloading OCLC Records via Sierra.
- Derive new record (<Ctrl+Alt+C>), click “Yes” on the “Transfer fixed values to new record?” pop-up window.
- Make changes in following fields:
- “Dates”; “Ctry” in fixed fields
- Check other fixed fields and variable fields as well to make sure the description of the map in hand matches the description in the bib record*.
- Apply barcode to the map.
- Write down the new call number on the map.
- Add 949 field to the bib record (<Alt+M>), enter barcode after “i-“
- Save record to online file (<Ctrl+Alt+V>), write down the save number. Inform catalogers once a batch has been done. Remember online save file will be expired in 14 days!
- Catalogers update the record (<F8>) and export (<F5>) to URSUS
*For more information regarding map cataloging refer to Map Cataloging Procedures.
Return to the Technical Services TOC